• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JackCE

JackCE
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:21 PM

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 78 Austin mini 1000 as a project. It's been sitting a few years and needs some work. For some reason it seems to have no power coming from the ignition cylinder, I just replaced it today with a unit from seven mini parts thinking it was the cylinder itself that had gone bad. But I installed the new one and still nothing works. Other things like headlights and the horn still work, but ignition cylinder related items don't. The idiot I bought it from had the battery hooked up backwards and when he tried to start it fried the old ignition switch and the alternator, and no I'm worried I've got more of a wiring mess on my hands, Any tips or help would be very much appreciated, as I'm not sure what I should try next. 

Thanks,

Jack

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:39 PM

The obvious thing is to make sure there's power going in to the ignition switch. Test & trace (sounds familiar  :errr: ) the brown wire, I think it piggybacks off the fusebox, but it'll defo originate from the battery terminal on the solenoid.

#3 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:43 AM

Agreed. Check the 4 post relay mounted under the hood for power. It may have fused open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users