35 replies to this topic

#1 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:00 PM

Not an engine expert. First real engine build at the min. Had some work done on my short engine and should have had new cam bearings fitted. Do these look new?? I understand sometimes they need to be scraped to remove high spots but these look original with wear? Or am i just being stupid? 

Any opinions welcome...

Attached File  IMG_1323.JPG   40.81K   5 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1324.JPG   40.64K   6 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1325.JPG   28.65K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1326.JPG   28.61K   3 downloads

#2 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:16 PM

They look like old ones to me.

#3 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:28 PM

That is also what i think. 

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:01 PM

They are the old ones, but condition-wise they should be fine.

#5 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:07 AM

They are the old ones, but condition-wise they should be fine.

As i am no expert is there a correct clearance for cam to bearing? 

The annoying part is i paid to have a lot of work done and when i have started to complete the build im finding many parts that are not as they should be - 

Timing chain should have been IWIS - checked and its ROLON and does not look good. 

Cam followers should have been ISKY - these have no oil hole and look like mini spares basic version or original, i just dont know

Cam bearings should have been replaced and have not been 

Pushrods replaced and checked - found 2 so badly bent i can not believe anyone would fit them

Rocker studs should have been replaced - these are bent and old

Head studs and nuts should have been replaced - studs new but quality unknown and old nuts 

Im now very concerned about the crank work and pistons that were also done. I now have to strip everything to inspect. This is not what i need. I should have been completing the engine this week. 

#6 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:25 AM

It Is no consolation now, but with Engines no longer cheap throw away items and the days of getting them bored for a "drink" over you really need to go to someone recommended and trusted.

A lot of engineering shops have gone since the 90s and "jobs" done correctly are no longer cheap, and any that are cheap you soon discover why.

Most of us now, due to the cost prob wont have many engines built so it needs to be right first time and as minis are now not often daily users its best to wait save up the pennies and get it done right the first time.rather than rush it.

I would now only use trusted shops who have a reputation to lose

#7 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:36 AM

It Is no consolation now, but with Engines no longer cheap throw away items and the days of getting them bored for a "drink" over you really need to go to someone recommended and trusted.

A lot of engineering shops have gone since the 90s and "jobs" done correctly are no longer cheap, and any that are cheap you soon discover why.

Most of us now, due to the cost prob wont have many engines built so it needs to be right first time and as minis are now not often daily users its best to wait save up the pennies and get it done right the first time.rather than rush it.

I would now only use trusted shops who have a reputation to lose

This was my original thoughts. I posted on here last year requesting for reputable people that could do the work. The guy that did the work is a member on here. Has his own website for mini parts and has worked with minis since 1979.. He seemed genuine and i paid good money for this work. It was not a cheap job. I have all details of agreed work agreed and now what i find is poor quality, half done, cheap parts. 

Edited by Project_1275_GT, 24 May 2020 - 10:56 AM.

#8 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:57 AM

Just been into the garage and striped crank bearing caps to check if the bearings have been replaced as agreed. Again i am no engine expert. These look original. 

Attached File  IMG_1327.JPG   44.07K   9 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1328.JPG   34.32K   5 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1329.JPG   41.3K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1330.JPG   42.24K   2 downloads

#9 retired

retired

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:21 AM

They are certainly not new bearing shells but - more interestingly - all three caps have a centre retaining notch, which is what you would expect on an A plus engine (apart from the very early ones) and those are pre-A plus shells. It's obvious because of the oil groove, the A plus are plain, no oil groove, to carry a higher load.

It's a common trick to cut a centre retaining notch on earlier engines to be able to fit the later shells but that looks like the opposite has been done, a side notch cut to fit some second hand early shells.

Also, in the photo of all three, if they are laid out in the orientation they came of, the middle is probably on the wrong way around.

What year is the engine? ie is it an A-Plus? (a slim possibility is that it's a pre-A plus that has been modified to take the later shells but they've not been used in this case)

#10 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:28 AM

The engine is A + metro turbo engine. The caps are laid out in order / orientation as removed. 

Edited by Project_1275_GT, 24 May 2020 - 10:55 AM.

#11 retired

retired

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:34 PM

Well, unless it is a very early A-Plus engine, those are pre-A plus bearing shells.

The very early A-plus engines did still use the grooved bottom shells - they are rare but I have one - but all of the A-Plus, apart from the very early ones, had plain bottom shells.

In your photos you can see the "notch" in the middle of the bearing caps which is where the tang for the A-Plus bearings would fit.

Pull the shells out and see if the groove/notch where the bearing tang sits on yours looks milled by the factory or just filed/ground by someone.

As for the cap order, the notch should be on the same side for all three.

#12 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:35 PM

I have now managed to speak with the guy who did the work. He apologises and can not explain how these issues arose. I have listed the parts that are not as specified and he promises to arrange parts for me this week for delivery. He did offer to take the engine back and do the work but I see no point. I will complete the work myself. I may be asking some questions later in the week. 

I have added some pictures with the shell removed. 

Attached File  IMG_1335.JPG   30.72K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1336.JPG   35.2K   3 downloads

Does this look correct? 

#13 retired

retired

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:05 PM

Does this look correct? 

No, not at all.

There should only be one notch, off to the side for older A series (and very early A-Plus) and in the centre for most A-Plus. And the bearing shells would be plain for A-Plus (no groove).

It looks like someone has cut the extra notch to fit the older bearings to a more recent block.

Presumably just to use old,second hand bearing shells ???

Kind of sad if the person claimed they knew what they were doing and made you pay for it.

#14 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:18 PM

Does this look correct? 

No, not at all.

There should only be one notch, off to the side for older A series (and very early A-Plus) and in the centre for most A-Plus. And the bearing shells would be plain for A-Plus (no groove).

It looks like someone has cut the extra notch to fit the older bearings to a more recent block.

Presumably just to use old,second hand bearing shells ???

Kind of sad if the person claimed they knew what they were doing and made you pay for it.

I have contacted the guy that did the work and he can not explain why work was not done as agreed. I have given him the list of parts that are not done correctly and he has said these will be posted to me this week. It is quite a list that I am not happy with. But he did offer to have the engine back to do the work. To me its very concerning. Most people that pay for half engine build would not strip it again before use. I took some parts off to allow painting, then removed a few more due to the first bits not being correct. Now its almost bare again and will have to be fully re built. This was not my plan. Or what i paid for

#15 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:56 AM

To be slightly fair to the guy, if its a big operation, and engine is only as good as the actual guy who did the build. If its a one man operation though then there are no excuses whatsoever.

Would it be worth letting him "rebuild" it, again then checking it when you get it back.?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users