35 replies to this topic

#16 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:15 AM

To be slightly fair to the guy, if its a big operation, and engine is only as good as the actual guy who did the build. If its a one man operation though then there are no excuses whatsoever.

Would it be worth letting him "rebuild" it, again then checking it when you get it back.?

The company is Retro Minis - They have a website under that name, looks very professional, spoke with the guy and he seemed very genuine and knowledgeable. He has been working with minis since 1979. Agreed a list of work to be done on my head and block only. Took the block and head to him to be checked over and advise true cost. Received cost and agreed payment terms. I was not in a rush as this is a slow project based on time and money. He agreed to send pictures to keep me updated on the build. 

This is the list of issues - 

Cam should have been 264T as displayed on his site - Mini spares evolution 001 fitted - acceptable but cheaper option not discussed 

Cam bearings should have been replaced - Not done

Pushrods replaced, checked for straightness - when i removed these 2 were excessively bent. 4mm curve 

Cam followers he insisted should be ISKY - when removed and inspected they are possibly original or maybe mini spares £2.00 ones

Crank polish - looks clean but always did so i dont know 

Main bearings - not done 

New original metro turbo pistons - These were advised as original. Hard to get, limited stock, - Fitted are MEGA pistons form mini spares 

New high grade studs and nuts for head - studs are new but quality unknown - original nuts fitted

CR should have been checked - He forgot 

Rocker rebuild with new studs - studs so bent rocker did not want to come off. Grip marks on the side when finally remove

New IWIS timing chain insisted by him - removed cover to find Rolon half rusted chain. 

I must admit im worried about piston rings, bore size, double spring set, valve seats because i now need to inspect all. 

He has agreed to do the work but is 200 miles away from me. Plus with this list above i would not want to leave the engine there again in fear it disappears. I have spoken with him but must admit I don't hold much hope of ever receiving the parts discussed. 

Seems to me that obvious parts were replaced, those difficult to tell parts were not. He could not explain on the phone what had happened. I think we all know why. 

#17 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:21 AM

That's terrible. He should be covering cost of collection of the engine. Mega pistons - be bloody careful as many have melted them with boost. It sounds like the engine was pulled apart and just thrown back together, not a great image of a company like that.

#18 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:11 AM

To be slightly fair to the guy, if its a big operation, and engine is only as good as the actual guy who did the build. If its a one man operation though then there are no excuses whatsoever.

Would it be worth letting him "rebuild" it, again then checking it when you get it back.?

The company is Retro Minis - They have a website under that name, looks very professional, spoke with the guy and he seemed very genuine and knowledgeable. He has been working with minis since 1979. Agreed a list of work to be done on my head and block only. Took the block and head to him to be checked over and advise true cost. Received cost and agreed payment terms. I was not in a rush as this is a slow project based on time and money. He agreed to send pictures to keep me updated on the build.

Cam should have been 264T as displayed on his site - Mini spares evolution 001 fitted - acceptable but cheaper option not discussed
Pushrods replaced, checked for straightness - when i removed these 2 were excessively bent. 4mm curve
Cam followers he insisted should be ISKY - when removed and inspected they are possibly original or maybe mini spares £2.00 ones
Main bearings - not done
New original metro turbo pistons - These were advised as original. Hard to get, limited stock, - Fitted are MEGA pistons form mini spares
New high grade studs and nuts for head - studs are new but quality unknown - original nuts fitted
Rocker rebuild with new studs - studs so bent rocker did not want to come off. Grip marks on the side when finally remove
New IWIS timing chain insisted by him - removed cover to find Rolon half rusted chain.

I must admit im worried about piston rings, bore size, double spring set, valve seats because i now need to inspect all.

He has agreed to do the work but is 200 miles away from me. Plus with this list above i would not want to leave the engine there again in fear it disappears. I have spoken with him but must admit I don't hold much hope of ever receiving the parts discussed.

Seems to me that obvious parts were replaced, those difficult to tell parts were not. He could not explain on the phone what had happened. I think we all know why.

Well done for naming and shaming. I’ve had an absolute turd of an engine built by a ‘reputable’ builder and it was nothing but trouble until I had it pulled apart again by a lesser known engine man. The original builder wouldn’t take my calls and didn’t respond to email or text messages. In the end I gave up. Inch won’t be getting any of my business again ever. And the bugger stole bits off my original engine too which I couldn’t get back. Proper cowboy in my opinion.

#19 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:33 AM

That's terrible. He should be covering cost of collection of the engine. Mega pistons - be bloody careful as many have melted them with boost. It sounds like the engine was pulled apart and just thrown back together, not a great image of a company like that.

I will allow some time for parts to be delivered. Engine now stays with me. If i dont receive the list of parts I will take further action. 

My build is intended to be as original as possible. Mega pistons do state from original tooling. But its not what was discussed or agreed. I have read many posts regarding these pistons and think with a pretty standard build they should be fine. I am confused buy the fact that even mini spares quote 5PSI boost when the standard is 7.. so a little worried but another big cost to change now. 

I did also ask for my original pistons and cam to be kept for me. Cam was supposed to be MG. Neither were there when collected. Also my engine number was missing and had to buy a new one 

#20 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:39 AM

Main bearings - not done

Well done for naming and shaming. I’ve had an absolute turd of an engine built by a ‘reputable’ builder and it was nothing but trouble until I had it pulled apart again by a lesser known engine man. The original builder wouldn’t take my calls and didn’t respond to email or text messages. In the end I gave up. Inch won’t be getting any of my business again ever. And the bugger stole bits off my original engine too which I couldn’t get back. Proper cowboy in my opinion.

I have reported this to TMF as im a concerned that others may have or will experience the same. Maybe TMF could add a section for known good traders for this kind of work. It also seemed to be impossible to judge a price for work when I was looking. Possibly they could give examples of cost from reputable companies so we can all make best decision.

Sorry to hear you are also a victim of good sales pitch and poor / dishonest work.   

#21 retired

retired

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:38 PM

If that is/was a metro turbo engine then they never had the grooved lower shells like some of the early A-plus.

In which case it's a clear bodge to fit early (non A-plus) second hand shells.

What's the casting number on the crank itself ???

A lot of the turbo engines used a different crank, much better material, and these are highly sought after in the mini turbo world.

Given everything else you have described, I wouldn't be surprised that you actually used to have one of the high spec cranks and it somehow "disappeared" and got swapped for a pre-Aplus crank with the old pre-Aplus second hand bearing shells.

The original metro turbo engine used a "standard" 1275 cam, it's just a usual upgrade in the turbo world to use the N/A MG Metro cam (or Kent equivalent).

#22 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:27 PM

Sorry to hear this OP  I'd be fuming.....an unhelpful query at this point  but given the disappearance of  your engine number how sure are you you actually got your engine back rather than a bitsa they had on the shelf? Here's sincerely hoping it gets satisfactorily sorted to what you paid for.....in my mind just supplying the specc'd parts that were cheaped out on initially is not enough to resolve ....

#23 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:20 PM

Main bearings - not done

I have reported this to TMF as im a concerned that others may have or will experience the same. Maybe TMF could add a section for known good traders for this kind of work. It also seemed to be impossible to judge a price for work when I was looking. Possibly they could give examples of cost from reputable companies so we can all make best decision.

Sorry to hear you are also a victim of good sales pitch and poor / dishonest work.   

We do have a section and its here

http://www.theminifo...rvices-reviews/

#24 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for this. I had not seen it before.

#25 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:52 PM

Sorry to hear this OP  I'd be fuming.....an unhelpful query at this point  but given the disappearance of  your engine number how sure are you you actually got your engine back rather than a bitsa they had on the shelf? Here's sincerely hoping it gets satisfactorily sorted to what you paid for.....in my mind just supplying the specc'd parts that were cheaped out on initially is not enough to resolve ....

I have checked this carefully and believe it is the original engine. The head had some poor port work done on the inlets [still the same] and the block is stamped in all usual places indicating turbo. Plus the engine was previously painted blue and some very small evidence this was still there. Believe its the correct engine. Its so annoying as i was so close to completing the engine build and now Im delayed again. Hopefully i will receive the parts

#26 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:05 PM

If that is/was a metro turbo engine then they never had the grooved lower shells like some of the early A-plus.

In which case it's a clear bodge to fit early (non A-plus) second hand shells.

What's the casting number on the crank itself ???

A lot of the turbo engines used a different crank, much better material, and these are highly sought after in the mini turbo world.

Given everything else you have described, I wouldn't be surprised that you actually used to have one of the high spec cranks and it somehow "disappeared" and got swapped for a pre-Aplus crank with the old pre-Aplus second hand bearing shells.

The original metro turbo engine used a "standard" 1275 cam, it's just a usual upgrade in the turbo world to use the N/A MG Metro cam (or Kent equivalent).

Still the original crank 

Attached File  Crank CAM6581.JPG   44.75K   1 downloads

Checked the number and this should be correct. The cam that was fitted had signs of running mechanical fuel pump. The guy that sold me the engine years back had said it was MG metro, not turbo. Was agreed to check cam type and keep the old one but supply a new one. Gave me options and i could carfully inspect old cam. But never got it back.

Hard to say with the main bearings if this was done by someone before. All i know is they are not new. Hopefully will receive the new ones and fit without issues. Ordered a 2" micrometer to allow me to check crank dia correctly and ensure correct bearing is fitted. 

#27 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:14 PM

This is the block. Believe the B stamped in the middle is correct for turbo?

Attached File  Block pistons all up.jpg   52.25K   2 downloads

#28 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:24 PM

Blimey, well from the details you have given, I feel you are correct in not giving a second chance at it...One or maybe two mistakes could be "explained" but not the catalogue you have given, :-(

#29 MiniLuke

MiniLuke

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:56 PM

This is so frustrating to read. I think I’d just get my money back and go elsewhere...

I’ve recently bought a short engine form MCCS engineering in notts. These guys are looking to expand their work to the public, and the engine I have bought looks superb! They have supplied trade for some time, but covid has had them decide to supply direct as so many of their trade customers closed for a time/ permanently.

I would think they’d relish the chance to help you sort your engine to get more good press, particularly on here! https://www.mccsengineering.com/

#30 DB1380

DB1380

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:05 AM

This is really really bad. From what ive read, everything you wanted done and payed for ain't been done at all, its just been bodged together with secondhand or cheap parts.

You've got 2 choices in my mind...Give them a chance to put everything right   or you need to take this further big time.

You cant just walk away from this.

Dicky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users