5 replies to this topic

#1 rock1day

rock1day

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:23 PM

Can the cylinder head be removed (decoke) with the thermostat / thermostat housing left in place or will this cause problems when refilling the coolant?

My car is 28 years old and I'm concerned about shearing off the thermostat housing studs. 

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:25 PM

it can be left on. but i would be changing the thermostat if it has not been done for a long time.

as you are taking the head off it makes it easier to take it somewhere if there are issues.

Plusgas and heat are useful tools.

#3 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:59 PM

Definitely change the thermostat, the thermostat housing and the studs too. Otherwise a half job done which will bite you in the *sse later on :shy:

#4 rock1day

rock1day

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:14 PM

Makes sense, would the bolts be easier to remove if the engine is at running temperature or is direct heat from a blowlamp more effective? 

#5 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:49 AM

Direct gentle heat from a blow lamp and plus gas or similar, but watch your face if spraying plus gas or similar onto hot studs as it can flash or spit at you.. I also find a soft mallet to gently tap the housing, "up and down" to kind of rock it on the studs to free off the "rust / binding".. and as always.  take your time.. spray.. drink tea.. water the garden etc... contrary to popular belief these rust pentrating fluids take a long time to act not 5 mins :-)

i have a "gorilla" mate who sprays a rusty nut then snaps it off almost immediately and slags of the fluid for being useless..

#6 rock1day

rock1day

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the advice, think I`ll try direct heat plus a freeing agent for several times before attempting to remove the studs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users