4 replies to this topic

#1 Bradchap

Bradchap

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:36 PM

Hi, having a problem sealing a fuel tank sender on an estate, tried 2 different cork gaskets, one was alot thicker than the other, genuine Vs aftermarket I guess but both have leaked, should I be using a sealant and if so what do people recommend for fuel tanks? Thanks in advance

Edited by Bradchap, 24 May 2020 - 06:37 PM.

#2 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:06 PM

I had lots of problems with cork gaskets on these tanks (same "under the car" one on my Marcos) and found the only one that really works is the paper/card one that comes with a new sender from Minispares.

After several attempts to get the tank to seal, I ended up stripping the threads on the sender - tried to tap them out to a larger size,but in the end I needed a new tank!

#3 Bradchap

Bradchap

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:07 PM

Thanks Surfomatic, did you use any sealant on the gasket??

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

I use a cork gasket with the type of senders I use on all the tanks I make and these have a similar style of sender mounting to the Van / Estate tanks. Never had a gasket issue with any of them.

First, be sure both faces are clean and flat. You may need to give give them a run with some fine emery. Cork doesn't need any sealant and needs to be 'wetted' for it to expand and seal, so soaking the gasket in fuel for an hour or so before fitting can help, though, I just fit them dry and they get 'wetted' when the tank is filled. With the screws, don't try to tighten them too tight. Because the gasket has some thickness and is soft, all you'll do is distort the sender and the tank, then they'll never seal. They just need to be done up firm. If the tank is distorted, then maybe a sealant might help here, not an RTV but something like 3bond.

#5 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:16 PM

Thanks Surfomatic, did you use any sealant on the gasket??

I used a smear of Hylomar blue on the paper gasket, but as Moke Spider says nothing needed for the cork version - and don't overtighten the fixings!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users