#1 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:56 PM

In most of my minis the fresh air "snorkel" (is that the right name?) looked like this and had a metal flange/socket attached or integral to the inner wing that the convoluted hose went to the heater from

Attached File  Capture.JPG   40.3K   4 downloads

(Re)Building my kit car and it doesn't have the flange/socket on the inner wing so I don't have anything to connect the hose to between the inner wing and the heater - unfortunately I threw away the old heater as that had rusted through at the bottom but I could have cannibalised the flange from the side if I had realised I might need it.  The kit car has this "old" type of snorkel and I forget but I think it just had a bit of tin rolled up and stuck into position to hold the heater hose (One of several "interesting" ways that things were done on the car) 

Anyway searching eBay for something suitable I found a snorkel like this:

Attached File  Capture1.JPG   53.39K   1 downloads

This seems to have a built in flange/socket for the pipe to the heater or is it a separate part? - I assume this is a later thing so Rover could delete the body mounted flange?

Can anyone confirm for me - Is it part of the snorkel or a separate part

Does anybody know if you can buy the metal flange socket as a separate item as fitted to the earlier cars? 

I think any way will do but to but the snorkel is 20 quid on eBay so If I could find a cheaper way (cannibalising a rusty heater would have worked.... >_< ) 

Cheers, Mark

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:26 PM

I'm interested in an answer to this too as I'd like to add the later fresh air system to my van which currently has the mk1 type of fresh air intake.

#3 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:40 PM

You'd have to cut a hole in your inner wing... might not be desirable in a collectable ?

Is the Mk1 set up no good or do you need the space in the bulkhead area?

I do see that the long floppy hose under the bonnet might be a pain and a bit ugly and so under the wing is out of the way and out of sight.

I just bit the bullet and ordered the snorkel with flange as I will need to do something whether the flange is a separate part or whether I use it as a whole (although I will have to make the same mod as I already made to the existing one which is to drill out the captive screws to add longer ones (as the kit car inner wing is about 7mm thick (fibreglass) so the std screws aren't long enough - ok for a steel car!)

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:16 PM

Domestic ventilation odds & sods are cheap enough have a look at Screwfix or Ebay. 

Manrose are a major brand

#5 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:20 PM

Cheers for the tip but it seems an odd size (3 and a quarter inch) so not sure that would be anything standard these days (80mm nearest possibly but just too small (3.25"= 81mm)

I did try to browse some thing but had no luck and as mentioned just bit the bullet and bought the one on ebay

#6 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

I made the flange out of a tin can, Baked Beans, I think.

I cut it lengthways and overlapped the two sides till they slid into the tube.

Cut the overlap, then weld. No problem.

#7 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:49 PM

Just got the "new" snorkel today - had a quick look and it looks like the flange is an add on plastic part to the original snorkel that is fitted under the captive studs so the sealing ring/gasket fits on top of it per the old style flange normal but then only need a plain hole in the inner wing  instead of a welded in flange (so was a Rover cost saver)

Of course doesn't work exactly for me on the kit car as I need longer studs but I think I can extract the add on flange as a standlone part and put it on the inside if the inner wing (or I could just mount it as Rover did it and push it through the hole - either/or) w

#8 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:28 PM

You'd have to cut a hole in your inner wing... might not be desirable in a collectable ?

Is the Mk1 set up no good or do you need the space in the bulkhead area?

I do see that the long floppy hose under the bonnet might be a pain and a bit ugly and so under the wing is out of the way and out of sight.

I just want fresh air vents either end of the dash.  May not be original but the van isn't exactly perfect anyway.  I'm going for practicality over originality.

#9 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:25 PM

You will need plenty of other parts as well to have dash fresh air vents - I only intend to have fresh air to the heater to (try and) reduce the steaming up - no dash vents

#10 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 05:49 PM

Yes, I've been slowly collecting the parts.  Got most of them now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users