4 replies to this topic

#1 Baz

Baz

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:03 PM

On my 1990 RSP cooper I have changed the exhaust manifold to a maniflow 3 branch and New straight through single box exhaust. Then changed the carb to a new SU hif 44. I've blocked off the carb crankcase breather inlet and connected the float chamber breather outlet back to the fuel tank return.
But now the car will not start - it has no sign of life! I've checked and have a good spark at the plugs, made no changes to the ignition system since the last time the car run and on removing the plug it us,damp with petrol.
Any thoughts on why it won't start??

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:08 PM

Is the manifold gasket sealed?some flanges are different thicknesses and do not seal well.Did it run before you altered it?if so ckeck everything you have touched.Steve..

#3 Baz

Baz

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:58 AM

Thanks Steve. Gasket looks sealed and all maniflow nuts are tight. Any thoughts on how I can tell it is sealing. I would have thought even if not fully sealed it would start but not idile?

#4 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:04 AM

Spray some WD40 around the manifold gasket and carb to manifold gasket and crank the engine... if its leaking badly you may just see bubbles or see the fluid being "sucked in"

Alternatively put your hand over the carb mouth to seal it and get someone to crank the engine.. you should feel suction on your hand... if not you do have a leak

#5 Baz

Baz

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:17 AM

Good news got the car started yesterday. Checked back over everything and noted that the mixture screw was all the way screwed in making the mixture over rich. This,was flooding the engine. Backed off car started and running well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users