#1 andyboy!!

andyboy!!

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:31 AM

Hi

I've a mini fire extinguisher I was thinking of fitting in the car. It's mainly for show. Is this safe? Thinking of when the heat builds up in the car on a hot day.

If so, I was going to put in under the dash rail on the passenger side. Has anyone fitted one here or have ideas for elsewhere?

Thanks

Andy

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:35 AM

If you are going to fit one fit it where you can get to it if you need it. And they are fine in the car.

#3 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:36 PM

I mounted mine hard up against the cross member in front of the passenger seat, in reach and out of the way of the knees.  

#4 andyboy!!

andyboy!!

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:49 PM

Where exactly d you mean Mini Mad? Sorry, it's me not you :)

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,927 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:58 PM

2 common places I've seen them in Rally Minis was on the passenger's side of the seat cross-member and also on the passenger's side near the hinge panel, on the back side of the wheel arch.

I'll just add here, regardless of where it goes, be sure the holder isn't just a 'clip' type by has a decent over-center type catch to keep it where it should be.

#6 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 07:49 PM

I'm thinking to place a small extinguisher in the boot....possibly on the boot lid inner skin. That way, if ever needed in a hurry, it will flip out on the lid and away from body. Trying to work out how to mount to the curved lid surface....maybe some kind of stand offs, possible a wooden block carved to shape. 

Edited by Tornado99, 10 February 2021 - 07:49 PM.

#7 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 10 February 2021 - 08:37 PM

Might be worth getting a simple LifeLine system. I had a fixed 1.5 litre in the rear bin, pipe into two nozzles in the bonnet area and the pull just near the handbrake. More for actual potential use than show. Just remember to have it replaced or serviced when the pressure drops.

#8 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:03 PM

Might be worth getting a simple LifeLine system. I had a fixed 1.5 litre in the rear bin, pipe into two nozzles in the bonnet area and the pull just near the handbrake. More for actual potential use than show. Just remember to have it replaced or serviced when the pressure drops.

Mine will be only for a road use car....and admittedly as bit of interior eye candy. A serious extinguisher setup is wise for rally/race setups.   

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:10 PM

You could also put it in one of the bins. The brackets for retaining them aren't the best, I've had to bodge a few times when the extinguishers pop out of the bracket and roll about, by luck we positioned it under the drivers knees in a position where its easy to reach but can't be triggered in place.

This was twice on a National Hotrod and a few other formula for short ovals. I'm a handy guy with cable ties and duct tape lol

Edited by cal844, 10 February 2021 - 10:11 PM.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 12:17 AM

I'm thinking to place a small extinguisher in the boot....possibly on the boot lid inner skin. That way, if ever needed in a hurry, it will flip out on the lid and away from body. Trying to work out how to mount to the curved lid surface....maybe some kind of stand offs, possible a wooden block carved to shape. 

Pointless. Open the boot full of fuel woof.  If you are going to get one it needs to be at arms length before you get out of the car. Having to open something to get to it just ain’t worth it. 

what happens when the boot is locked and you need an extinguisher in the passenger compartment ? 

It stays in the boot.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 12:19 AM

Mine will be only for a road use car....and admittedly as bit of interior eye candy. A serious extinguisher setup is wise for rally/race setups.   

Errr they are not extinguishers they are fire suppression systems. So as to give you time to exit the car. They are not there to put out the fire.

#12 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:21 AM

I bought a 1.5 lb Halotron fire extinguisher from Griot’s Garage and mounted it to the floor against the crossmember on the passenger side of the car. Great product plus its out of the way yet near enough in case you need it. Sealed the holes through the floor with stainless steel washers and RTV.

#13 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:52 AM

An extinguisher is also useful for use on other situations not on our own cars.   I'll take one in the boot over not having one at all or one in a place where it is in the way of passengers etc. during everyday enjoyment of the car. 

#14 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:24 AM

Mine fits in the door pocket on my mk1. As above you want it as close as possible!

#15 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:55 AM

Pointless. Open the boot full of fuel woof.  If you are going to get one it needs to be at arms length before you get out of the car. Having to open something to get to it just ain’t worth it. 

what happens when the boot is locked and you need an extinguisher in the passenger compartment ? 

It stays in the boot.

Or the car is involved in a crash which has resulted in a fire, boot is damaged to the point it won't open, or the door won't open and you can't get out.

As above. Needs to be within reach. Secure enough so it stays put and doesn't become a missile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users