#1 nicholasp99

nicholasp99

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:30 PM

Hello again,

I realise the sight of a removable front might cause concern to some but im interested in finding some advice regarding the methods people use to fasten them.

I have a separate front end with the A panels attached and im looking for ways of bolting it on without any of the attachments showing on the outside.

Im thinking of using the original front panel bolts and then using T clip bonnet latches on the inside of the A panels to attach to the hinge panel. has anyone ever done this before or something similar? i'd be interested to see how others have managed this.

many thanks,

Nick

#2 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:44 PM

Following this as interested to see peoples methods also.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:41 PM

Do how you going to attach the T clips to the A panel? And do you want to flex the front that much to disengage the Ts?

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:52 PM

You could try something like this, with the hook part on a 90 degree bracket off the door hinge backing plates:

https://www.s3i.co.u...qRoCn5UQAvD_BwE

Although not entirely hidden, my autotester in my avatar uses Aerocatches which can be flushed in and painted so not very noticeable. Can get lockable ones too.

Edited by GraemeC, 30 May 2020 - 01:57 PM.

#5 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:00 PM

Just thinking out loud here, but I've often wondered why I've never seen Triumph Herald bonnet clips used for this?

Attached Files

Edited by Quinlan minor, 30 May 2020 - 03:03 PM.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:24 PM

Separate opening bonnet? What have you got in the way of inner wings? How quickly do you want to remove it?

It'd probably be easiest to remove it forwards, so you'll have the rear flange of the A panel to contend with.

I'd be inclined to add an extra panel that takes the folded over A panel in place of inner wing/door post. Maybe adapted from a hinge repair panel. That'll add stiffness & the doubled up panels can be bolted together.

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:55 PM

MiniTec do this hinge kit....

"This Flip Front Hinge Kit is used to raise your Minis front end completely vertical to show off your engine.This kit includes the scissor style hinges, brackets, gas springs, hood brackets, and front end pins necessary to flip your front end as shown in photos. The hinges utilize nylon washers for smooth movement."

https://www.superfas...front-hinge-kit

Edited by mab01uk, 30 May 2020 - 04:56 PM.

#8 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:18 AM

I have a home made version of that kit. Worked very well but was removed for a different set up. I used that and some Locking pins (not like bonnet pins, these had a button in the end which pushed out a bar to locate the front end quite firmly).

Think I still have them in my bottom box somewhere.

#9 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:05 PM

Been wondering how to do this as well. My front end also has the A-panels attached, its a two piece so I don't mind bolting the removable piece on. So far I have thought about welding a bracket to the hinge post then bonding some bolts to the backside of the fiberglass A-panel. My biggest concern is what is the best way to bond bolts to the A-panels, just worry about them letting go, etc. There is a guy in our local club who also has a removable front, his is all metal though so he just welded brackets to his A-panels (obviously that isn't possible with fiberglass). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users