#16 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:37 PM

Every factory produced head was fitted with iron guides, so yes these are the correct type.

Phil.

#17 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:01 PM

Every factory produced head was fitted with iron guides, so yes these are the correct type.

Phil.

Thanks Phil.

I have a couple more questions.. 

The previous owner of the engine did some port work. He has opened up the inlet area. This has been ground back to the point the machined area for inlet manifold locating ring is nearly gone. Its gone in some areas and only just there in others. With this done would you advise not using the locating rings for the inlet? 

Attached File  IMG_1372.JPG   35.08K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1373.JPG   35.12K   0 downloads

I also have two different type of gaskets for inlet / exhaust manifolds. One is the Turbo type from mini spares and the other i think a PTFE type. I assume the Turbo type is better? 

Attached File  IMG_1374.JPG   43K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1375.JPG   44.47K   0 downloads

Thanks

rob

#18 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:36 PM

Use the turbo gasket.
I’m presuming the head is otherwise standard and they’ve simply opened up the bit of the port which is easy to access ? In reality this is the last part of the port that needs working as it’s the least restrictive point.
If there’s enough left to hold the location rings you could use them. Otherwise you’ll need to drill the head/manifold and locate it using some small roll pins.

Phil.

#19 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:48 PM

Yes thats all thats been done to the head. The rings still go in but im a little worried that they try to blow through and cause a restriction. I like the roll pin idea. 

Thanks for all your help. The engine should be complete in a couple of weeks now providing the CR is acceptable when checked. All i have to do then is complete rebuild of the shell and its good to go. I hope i can get it done this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users