#136 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

I cannot answer the first question. As for the second question I have never seen a listing of fault codes. They do not appear in the official workshop manual. However a suitable code reader will tell you what the fault is without you having to rely on a code but there are very few code readers that will work with a Mini. The Sykes Pickavant ACR2 or ACR4 with a suitable Rover pod (v3 or v4) is the most common reader that does. The ECU functions of a Mini are very basic and I believe a good multimeter may do most of the diagnostic tasks. Don't ask me how.

You may have seen FlyingScot's brilliant summary on page 8 of this thread. There is also an extremely useful guide by another forum member at:

http://www.tmsmini.c...er/mini_efi.htm

#137 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

Mini MPi is not a modern car, the faults you describe will not be found by a code reader. Most if issues will be 1) the wiring itself 2) the earth points 3)the fuse box.
There is no list of fault codes, you need a specific code reader for these cars.
A multimeter can be used for the wiring and sensor checks, have a look in this thread for information, but your problems are more basic.
The MEMS 2J used in the MPI is far from "very basic" it employs a series of 3D maps modified by the sensor inputs to control fuelling and timing.

FS

#138 gxg_romford

gxg_romford

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

Hey All

Sorry to bump an old topic. I am looking to get an acr4 off ebay at the moment, however i have been told its quite tricky to interpret the data and set up the stepper for a novice?

Does anyone have any experience on doing this as a novice and have any tips?

My SPI runs pretty well, however the idle fluctuates between 700 and 1200 prm (on a bad day, but usually gradually increases). It has been known to just fully rev. I have changed all of the vacuum pipes (bar one which i have mis-placed, between fuel trap and manifold) so next up is sensor checks.

I am in Romford essex if anyone close-ish is willing to help

Thanks

Gary

#139 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:04 AM

To do the stepper using the ACR system you need either ACR 2 plus Rover pod 3 or ACR 4 with Rover 3 or later (4 or 5 or MAP system).
The idle speed various most commonly with air leaks, so check for these first.
Idle speed is controlled by the stepper motor on SPi but also ignition timing (which is quicker to respond). The ECU will do its best to maintain idle under all conditions.
The stepper setting is seldom required. Deterioration of components or lack of maintenance is the main issue.
Check all normal mini things (serviced, inc setting tappets, air leaks, wiring for chafes or breaks) before the SPi bits.
The stepper motor itself can have issues with the coils burning out or more commonly the solder joints breaking. Unfortunately we are also beginning to see the ECU drivers failing inside the MEMS too.

Check the basics first, setting up the stepper isn't really tricky it's just not needed very often so few have done it. Often the problem lies elsewhere in any event so the problem isn't cured by this.

Varying idle for example isn't going to be cured by resetting the part open (air bypass) position of the SPi unit........
As part of the procedure for setting the stepper motor the idle has to be constant....

For specific issues I would start a thread for your problem, but to re-iterate my favourite theme, unless you have replaced all vacuum pipes and the fuel trap (these are service items) don't move further into the SPi system.

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 18 August 2015 - 08:11 AM.

#140 gxg_romford

gxg_romford

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

Ok thanks. I havent changed the fuel trap so will order one of these today and i haven't found the allusive vacuum pipe that i seem to have misplaced so will also change this first. There is a small catch in one of the wires coming out of the top of the injection unit but i dont think there is any damage, however i will check this as well soon

I dont think it helps that an RAC man change the position of the idle screw when i first got the car....could this still be haunting me?

I plan to get an acr4 off ebay as soon as possible as well with the v3 pod, but none on there at the moment

#141 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:57 PM

No that wouldn't help for sure but it would normally give an issue with the steady state being too high or low.
There is a set up with the Rover V4 for sale on eBay or look for the alternative of the Crypton ACT system which is in some ways easier to operate. Crypton ACT or ACT II or MAC branded versions with ASC3 and ASA 003 lead can read clear faults and give live data on an SPI plus there is a stepper tuning programme (although I admit to not having tried this). They are cheaper however than the Sykes Pickavant ones as fewer people have used them, but some TMF members use them.

FS

#142 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

So many mini fans are still looking for a method to help diagnose and read faults codes, but more importantly review the live data.

In my previous posts on this thread( see earlier) I listed most of the Sykes Pickavant Advanced Code Reader parts and numbers to enable different possibilities.
Now I turn my attention to non Sykes Pickavant equipment.

Of the other systems tested

Crypton

Checkmate (Yellow handset) system no details to hand of cards and leads

Advanced Checkmate Terminal (ACT)

This is a grey coloured unit and with the ASC 3 data card and ASA 3 lead can be used to read and clear data on SPi. Can also reset MEMS and adjust stepper idle setting.
There are two common badge engineered versions of the PPT2,

ACT Unit labelled as RAC - this was a version used by RAC patrols and has multiple car data cards and multi leads. It can also be used on the SPi but doesn't have the full functionality of the Crypton Own brand ACT ( can't reset MEMS or tune the stepper motor).

MAS this look similar to the Crypton ACT and is a Mac Tools branded version, functionally the same as the ACT. It comes in grey or red versions.

ACT II (yellow) this unit can be used on SPi with ASC 3 and ASA 3 lead, MPI with ASC21 card and ASA017 and STA013 adaptor or ASA19 and HTA100 adaptor.

Snap On

Blue point Datacheck 100 and 200 these are simple led 2 digit systems which indicate the fault code and then you look it up on a chart suitable for basic SPi checks.

MT2500 this system when fitted with PVCI GB module and ROV-1 lead can read and clear faults and examine live data on SPi.
I haven't personally tested this on MPi (I don't have an MPi at present but should be capable after checking the software).

Advanced Diagnostics AD100 this system can be used on SPi and MPi and can also programme key fobs on MPi if you have tokens (a kind of purchas scheme)

T300 (eBay) this is a Chinese rip off of the above with rigged software to prevent the tokens being used (stays at 100). Operation can be a little flaky and doesn't come with a lead to use with SPi or MPi. A lead can be purchased from eBay allowing the unit to be used on MPi including remote key fob programming (although I couldn't programme more than 1 with it which is kind of a problem...)
For SPi you need to make home brew leads for MEMS and 5AS but can be done ;-)

That's all for now, I'll add more when I come across some other notes I have written

FS

#143 martinrub

martinrub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:51 PM

So many mini fans are still looking for a method to help diagnose and read faults codes, but more importantly review the live data.
In my previous posts on this thread( see earlier) I listed most of the Sykes Pickavant Advanced Code Reader parts and numbers to enable different possibilities.
Now I turn my attention to non Sykes Pickavant equipment.
Of the other systems tested
Crypton
Checkmate (Yellow handset) system no details to hand of cards and leads
Advanced Checkmate Terminal (ACT)
This is a grey coloured unit and with the ASC 3 data card and ASA 3 lead can be used to read and clear data on SPi. Can also reset MEMS and adjust stepper idle setting.
There are two common badge engineered versions of the PPT2,
ACT Unit labelled as RAC - this was a version used by RAC patrols and has multiple car data cards and multi leads. It can also be used on the SPi but doesn't have the full functionality of the Crypton Own brand ACT ( can't reset MEMS or tune the stepper motor).
MAS this look similar to the Crypton ACT and is a Mac Tools branded version, functionally the same as the ACT. It comes in grey or red versions.
ACT II (yellow) this unit can be used on SPi with ASC 3 and ASA 3 lead, MPI with ASC21 card and ASA017 and STA013 adaptor or ASA19 and HTA100 adaptor.
Snap On
Blue point Datacheck 100 and 200 these are simple led 2 digit systems which indicate the fault code and then you look it up on a chart suitable for basic SPi checks.
MT2500 this system when fitted with PVCI GB module and ROV-1 lead can read and clear faults and examine live data on SPi.
I haven't personally tested this on MPi (I don't have an MPi at present but should be capable after checking the software).
Advanced Diagnostics AD100 this system can be used on SPi and MPi and can also programme key fobs on MPi if you have tokens (a kind of purchas scheme)
T300 (eBay) this is a Chinese rip off of the above with rigged software to prevent the tokens being used (stays at 100). Operation can be a little flaky and doesn't come with a lead to use with SPi or MPi. A lead can be purchased from eBay allowing the unit to be used on MPi including remote key fob programming (although I couldn't programme more than 1 with it which is kind of a problem...)
For SPi you need to make home brew leads for MEMS and 5AS but can be done ;-)
That's all for now, I'll add more when I come across some other notes I have written
FS

Car Mechanics magazine (UK) is about to publish in the next month or 2 a 2-page review I've written of 3 software packages to diagnose pre-EOBD MEMS. One is MEMSGauge by Colin Bourassa, which runs on Windows (I think there was reference to it much earlier in this thread). Another, MEMSLogger and MEMSAnalyser uses Colin's work and is a data logger program and a display program for the logfile. That's by Al Richey www.rmrsoft.com. Also a Windows program. They're all free.

Finally, thete's MEMSDiag, an Android app for under £8. This can be run inside a virtual machine on Windows but it's a lot of hard work and I don't recommend it unless you are very familiar with Virtualbox etc.

MEMSDiag and MEMSGauge are real-time diagnostic programs with fault codes and clearing. MEMSLogger/MEMSAnalyser is an excellent post-run analysis suite, giving, for example, 02 sensor output waveforms as good as those from an oscilloscope.

I intend to re-post with details of the publication date of the magazine once I know it.

Unfortunately, none of the 3 packages have immobiliser functions such as MEMS or fob pairing, but all 3 developers are in contact with each other sharing information as new details come to light.

Colin's site (MEMSGauge) is http://alum.wpi.edu/..._interface.html

Edited by martinrub, 13 April 2016 - 01:19 PM.

#144 martinrub

martinrub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

The article on pre-EOBD MEMS diagnostic software packages appears in the May 2016 issue of Car Mechanics magazine, in the shops in the next week or so.

#145 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:07 PM

June 1999issue of Car Mechanics magazine / mini

Attached Files

Edited by ukcooper, 22 April 2016 - 12:19 PM.

#146 martinrub

martinrub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:12 PM

Interesting. Thanks for posting the 2 pdfs. It's got me tempted to see if Manchester Central Library has got the back issues with some of the other articles in that series.

#147 spiinthestates

spiinthestates

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Local Club: C3M

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:06 PM

I have a question ECU resets, I have a Crypton ACT that has the ability to reset the ECU.  Upon selecting this item it goes through a series of warning messages stating your car will need to relearn everything and require a complete tune again.  What exactly would need to be re-tuned?  Anything beyond what this ACT couldn't already accomplish?  My stepper is fine just wondering about the CO2 adjustments that are available as I do not have any equipment to set or check this.  I have not taken the leap just yet, but after multiple owner changes, multiple part changes, is there a rule of thumb for when this should or should not be performed. 

#148 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

It will retune itself over the next so many miles once hot (can't remember offhand). On minis it's a closed loop system so you can't set the Co2, that's meant for earlier versions of the MEMS system.
Make sure you are selecting SPi with catalyst (assuming that it's an SPi you've got plugged in )
The reset function is where major parts were replaced and it scrubs the data learned from previous running.
If it's running fine, I would leave it.

FS

#149 felixy69

felixy69

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:16 PM

hi recently i found a sykes pickavant acr 4 on ebay and comes with rover pod 1 

i have a Japanese 97 mini 

what other pods do i need to COMPLETELY tune my car ?

thank you 

#150 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

Define completely tune?
Earlier is this very thread post #129

FS