#121 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

If you read earlier in this thread I list all the part numbers for all the Sykes Pickavant stuff including the pods, leads and handsets for your car.
You need something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231138006077 or http://www.ebay.co.u...I-/231143508097 or http://www.ebay.co.u...I-/281251628044

FS

#122 joecefnhedog

joecefnhedog

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:10 AM

Thank you. Why are they so expensive :/

#123 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

There as cheep now as they are ever going to be I think as when the Sykes system was new they where 1000's, keep scanning eBay and you get bargains if you look.

#124 gizmo1994

gizmo1994

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Keep looking. They are expensive but there is a very popular seller on eBay with a good rating who regularly has the Crypton and SP versions for sale secon hand on auction.

I picked up a Crypton model from auction in November for £67 delivered. Cables for SPi and MPi.

Really pleased with it. Just be patient and you will get a bargain.

Edited by gizmo1994, 01 February 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#125 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Can any reader be used to set the idle on a 96 spi?

#126 IainStallard

IainStallard

I am the first status holder 2014.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club, CCMOC

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Can any reader be used to set the idle on a 96 spi?

I think the best reader for that is the Sykes pickavent ones with the Rover 3 pod or above, don't quote me though

#127 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

Most common is the Sykes Pickavant ACR system as Iain quotes above but you can also use the Crypton ACT system to set up the idle (assuming everything else is working). Remember that on the SPI the ignition advance is used as part of the control of maintaining the idle too.

FS

#128 matt_nottm

matt_nottm

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hi 'FlyingScott' would you be happy to share the wiring diagram for your Rover 3 pin to the ISO9141 harness please that allows the iKeys programming of the SPI 5AS via the green connector? Thanks in advance, Matt.

Worked out which pins on the 16 pin connector are needed to programme the 5AS (not the same as the MEMs as it happens). The Rover lead 30214000 does not have all the pins connected nor the universal black EOBD one. This needs the expensive ISO lead.
Tracked the pins from the 5AS to the Green 3 pin AMP connector up by the bulkhead in an SPi.
Several chopped leads and some soldering later I made a lead that takes the 3 pins from the green connector plus a 12V positive (croc clip on starter motor) into a EOBD lead socket end. 

Edited by matt_nottm, 31 March 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#129 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

I did post this all up at the time but I have taken it down as I kept getting questions from people who didn't have basic knowledge/ couldn't be bothered to read what I had written

PM me with what you are looking to do and what kit you have mate, 10 minutes with a soldering iron and you will be good to go....you do have a soldering iron don't you ?

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 31 March 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#130 matt_nottm

matt_nottm

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

Thanks 'FS', I fully understand what you are saying, I've been in that situation before with some IT related things, almost what is a mouse?  ;D

PM coming, I've the ISO9141 harness a Rover 3pin on order and soldering iron at the ready.

Matt

#131 Genji

Genji

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

I need some help from those who already own a code reader - or more specifically the plug that plugs into the car's data port.

I'm testing the water with a guy in the US who has written some open source software to read the SPI's ECU, he's put together a build list of parts required to build your own data cable with a USB interface - what that means is that once you have this cable and his software you can plug your SPI into your laptop and code read.

If we can get the parts this means you can have a code reader for around the £30 mark (plus postage) - you will need to do a little soldering.

The problem I have is in finding the connector! I have the metal contact pins, I have sourced the USB cable but I can't get the connector (unless I buy 70 of them for £100+). I've found a place that will 3D print me some and I have a CAD file but it's incomplete (I've never worked with CAD or 3D printing). I don't even have a sample of the connector to look at. I'm trying to build myself a prototype and test it, hence I don't want to shell out 100's to build one that might not work fully - once I have a prototype I can see exactly what can be achieved and work form a position of practical knowledge rather than just theory!

So, here's where you come in, does anyone have a CAD drawing of the connector? (I know, long shot!) No?

OK, does anyone have a spare (or some spare) connectors? (I know, another long shot) No?

Bottom line? Can you send me some pictures of the connector so I at least know what the hell I'm looking at - I'm particularly interested in the internal arrangements of how the metal pins attach inside the barrel of the connector.

If I can get this off the ground, my intention is to package the parts and the software for cost price and make it available to any SPI owners - we may need to charge a little more to cover the minimum order costs for components if I can't find sensible numbers of the connectors but I'm confident it's all going to come in under fifty quid.

Edited by Genji, 22 June 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#132 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Rover 3 pin is AMP 172201-1, as this isn't used by any manufacturers anymore the connectors need to be made in a batch.
The connection pins themselves are more common and used in multiple connectors as you have found.
There are some sketches on the connector you find on google if you use the part number.
Just buy a cheap second hand lead?

FS

#133 c-mb

c-mb

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:57 AM

I'm the author of the open source SPi diagnostic software mentioned by Genji. If you want to take a look at it, it's in public Google Code repositories:

https://code.google....bmemsinjection/

https://code.google.com/p/memsgauge/

The first part is just the library that does the interfacing with the ECU, and the second part (MEMSGauge) is the graphical interface. I've also written instructions on building a cable, and I've published all the information I've discovered by reverse-engineering the diagnostic protocol:

http://alum.wpi.edu/..._interface.html

TE Connectivity (the current owner of the 172201 connector design) does provide a couple CAD files, one in IGES format and one in STEP. They're available from the product page: http://www.te.com/ca.../pn/en/172201-1

The STEP model looks to be more complete, but still seems like it would require hand-finishing. This same connector was used in 1990-1995 V8 Land Rovers for the lambda sensors, if that helps.

--Colin

#134 Mrio

Mrio

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

Hello Colin, yes I saw it. Good work! I'll be testing it tomorrow.

#135 c-mb

c-mb

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:59 AM

I got an email from a man named Bob, who gave me some good feedback on his experience talking to his 1996 SPi using the protocol information that I posted. I think I made a mistake in the initialization sequence, so I've fixed my software and I'm uploading new versions now.

Note that only the back-end library changed, so the MEMSGauge version number remains at 0.1.0. If you find that you're having trouble, check under "Help", "About" to make sure that you're using libmemsinjection 0.1.1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users