22 replies to this topic

#16 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:59 AM

The mini cooper club and the mini cooper register are/were two different organisations. I used to belong to both back in the late 80's.
I don't think the mini cooper club is going any more.

#17 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:07 AM

I think this was the first MCC magazine......I remember attending that first meeting mentioned below at the Cat Inn.

More details on the the beginnings of the original  'Mini Cooper Club' are in link below.

Mini Cooper Club - Beaulieu 1982 & 83:-

http://www.theminifo...aulieu-1982-83/

MCC%20Summer%2079_zpssrfxgatg.jpg

MCC%201979-1_zps6znwvugq.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 10 June 2020 - 08:24 AM.

#18 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:21 AM

Around about 1980 (ish) I joined what I seem to remember was the "Mini Cooper Club" ... is there any relation between that club and the Mini Cooper Register? The logos are certainly similar! I've searched online to see what ever happened to the Mini Cooper Club but can find nothing.

The 'Mini Cooper Register' was formed in 1986 by some 'Mini Cooper Club' members who were not happy with the way the MCC was being run and eventually the MCR had more members than the MCC and also took over the running of the Beaulieu Mini Cooper Event as this was organised by several core members who had defected to the MCR.

#19 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:56 AM

Around about 1980 (ish) I joined what I seem to remember was the "Mini Cooper Club" ... is there any relation between that club and the Mini Cooper Register? The logos are certainly similar! I've searched online to see what ever happened to the Mini Cooper Club but can find nothing.

The 'Mini Cooper Register' was formed in 1986 by some 'Mini Cooper Club' members who were not happy with the way the MCC was being run and eventually the MCR had more members than the MCC and also took over the running of the Beaulieu Mini Cooper Event as this was organised by several core members who had defected to the MCR.

So in effect the MCC "morphed" into the MCR via the back door! 

Really good information. Unfortunately my MCC publications are long gone, all that remains are a few photos of my old Mini adorning the club sticker ... but my new MCR sticker will now find pride of place on my current (late model) Cooper.

#20 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 09:10 AM

Here's my car in around 1987/88 wearing it's Mini Cooper Club grille badge.

Attached Files

#21 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 10 June 2020 - 11:12 AM

Over many years I'd often picked up on negative comments regarding the MCR.

Then a few years ago the 16v forum members were invited to the Beaulieu MCR day to display our cars (in the middle arena, no pressure) - so I attended (along with about 16 others) and was very impressed.  To be honest we had less negative comments from the MCR members than I do turning up at a local event.  Although they loved their Coopers they also appreciated modifying cars and trying out new stuff.

So I'd say give it a go.  But there is still nothing like the TMF for depth of knowledge and support across the mini range, so consider bunging the TMF a subscription and enjoy the discounts from Mini  Spares as well.

#22 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:05 PM

An interesting interview with 'Cooperman' and his life in motorsport is published in this months (July 2020) 'Mini Cooper Register' magazine.

https://www.minicoop...world-magazine/

https://www.facebook...&type=3

Edited by mab01uk, 07 July 2020 - 09:06 PM.

#23 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:01 PM

A great read...got my copy last week, but just gotten around to reading the article on lunch today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users