6 replies to this topic

#1 Majormallock

Majormallock

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:24 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum, but been restoring my 1997 MPI for 2 years. I am at the stage of body prep for spraying. The question is when do I fit the seam cover and paint them there seems many options:

After first primer, before first gloss
Or after first gloss, then on for a second coat?

Ancillary question, I am using 2 pack, how many coats recommended?

Many thanks

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:52 PM

Paint the car first. Paint the seam covers off the car then fit.

Solid colour or metallic?? Solid colour 3 decent coats should do it or a fourth coat for colour sanding. Metallic i cant comment on as never applied that.

My clubby i ended up with six coats but that was down to some thin patches and some runs that i sorted out. That was only my second time that i have done a full respray. (Project Paddy in my signature) And that was 2k.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,485 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:27 PM

For a metallic you'll ideally want as much paint on as you can but a dusting then 3 decent coats should be enough.

My dad (30 years experience on the gun) applies a dust coat and one decent coat then a heavy one, regardless of paint and always has great results with no need to do any polishing, just a denib(removing the high spots).

In my opinion If it's a metallic, get a professional to do the job, with a standard colour you can have a go yourself. It's a black art though!

#4 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 09:23 PM

If using 2k, then 3 coats is usually more than enough.

2k metallic requires a clear coat and the colour is applied as a base coat.

If this is the case, then the amount of coats of base depends on the colour and how well it covers.

most colours require 3 full coats and a drop coat which is a light dusting after the last full coat and after complete coverage and this allows the metallic to stand up better.

you need to observe flash off times between coats.

When applying the clear, I use 2 full coats and no more. But this is because the product I use specifies not to exceed 2.

If you want more, you can do what is called flow coating and that is where you paint the car, allow to harden, flat back the clear coat and then apply a further 2 coats before final flatting and polishing.

Putting loads and loads of coats on doesn't offer any more protection and only serves to make the paint look heavy and in the case of 2k direct gloss, it can actually soften lines and you loose the crispness of the lines.

Everyone has their own methods and the above is just mine.

Cheers

Ben

#5 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:46 AM

Are you reusing the old seam covers or fitting new ones? If fitting new ones, make sure they actually fit first. The guy who sorted the body on my car didn't bother checking they fit, assumed they would, and got the them all painted when the shell was done. Turns out they're miles out. Now I have to spend ages grinding and bending the already painted seam covers to get them to even remotely fit. I might end up making my own for the front end because the fit is so bad. Will end up having to repaint them... AFAIK the ones I have are the BMH made ones. 

#6 Majormallock

Majormallock

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it. I have decided standard Flame red paint, not metallic. I have primed it in red 2 pack, and will give it 3 top coats as advised, though as this is my first full spray, if after 2 coat it's just not good enough, I will flat it and take it to a professional. I am using old seam covers.

#7 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:39 PM

Are you reusing the old seam covers or fitting new ones? If fitting new ones, make sure they actually fit first. The guy who sorted the body on my car didn't bother checking they fit, assumed they would, and got the them all painted when the shell was done. Turns out they're miles out. Now I have to spend ages grinding and bending the already painted seam covers to get them to even remotely fit. I might end up making my own for the front end because the fit is so bad. Will end up having to repaint them... AFAIK the ones I have are the BMH made ones. 

I'll second that advice. My new covers were way out as well and required a lot of work and filler to sort them.  :dontgetit:

Don't use the usual barbed clips to attach them, the clips dig straight through the paint to the metal. Use a mastic to stick them on after all the painting and polishing is done, particularly if you plan to use a powered mop for any final work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users