#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 14 June 2020 - 07:42 AM

Looks like Mercedes AdBlue diesels may not be as clean as was claimed.......

Slater and Gordon and Leigh Day are now preparing a case against Mercedes over vehicles featuring its AdBlue technology, which the manufacturer claimed would reduce nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions to create “our cleanest diesel cars ever”.
The firms say that more than 80,000 people in the UK who own AdBlue vehicles, which they claim contain unlawful “defeat devices”, could join the group claim against Mercedes.
In a statement, Karolina Kupczyk, of Slater and Gordon, said: “There is overwhelming evidence that Mercedes sold highly polluting vehicles which did not comply with regulations intended to reduce emissions of dangerous NOx emissions.
“Customers who bought affected models may have a claim for compensation against Mercedes. We intend to hold this carmaker to account for deceiving the car-buying public.
“Anyone eligible should join the group action to show these big corporations that they are not above the law.
“Mercedes traded heavily on the image of being green, environmentally friendly and producing efficient diesel cars. We can now see that customers and regulators have been deceived.
“It is likely that customers have overpaid for their non-compliant vehicles and the resale value will be affected, therefore we believe that customers are entitled to financial compensation.”
https://cardealermag...-devices/192152

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:15 AM

If you bought a Mercedes diesel to be "environmentally friendly" you'd be disappointed with the defeat devices being fitted but if you wanted more power and fuel economy from your vehicle then they were probably a useful thing to have. 

Mind you if you wanted to be environmentally friendly you'd be best buying and keeping an old vehicle and maintaining it well rather than throwing resources at building short life span new vehicles.

#3 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:08 AM

I guessed it wouldn't be only VW on the fiddle, looks like I was right. How do these big firms think they can get away with it?

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:50 AM

I had to admire the ingenuity of the VW defeat device but it was very naughty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users