Photo
- - - - -

Hif44 Float/seat And Head Stud Question

Best Answer Spider , 16 June 2020 - 08:47 AM

Apparently all new SU parts are ethanol friendly, so, I'd run with the Viton Tipped Needle here.

In regards to the Head Studs, they should be OK to use again, but if you measured & recorded the length when new you can compare to that or if you didn't, measure the diameter of them in 3 places - just under the threads at each end and in the middle, any permanent stretch should be picked up by check this.

The Threads in the head for the Manifold Studs are 5/16" UNF.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:27 AM

1. Viton tip or brass tip for the float needle? Heard that brass wears quickly and that the viton tip doesn’t do well with ethanol ‘enhanced’ fuel.

2. This will be the fourth torque on a set of ARP head studs. Replace with new or keep?

3. Are manifold studs fine thread or coarse into the head? I’m considering heli-coils at all six locations.

Ah, the joy of mini ownership.?

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:53 AM

3. UNC - coarse

#3 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:56 AM

I'd say Viton for the float needle.  New parts from SU should be fine with ethanol but they aren't expensive so keep a few spares.

I tried this as I thought it was an improvement but it was terrible and flooded all the time.  Went back to Viton tipped and have had no problems since although we are only "blessed" with 5% ethanol fuels here at the moment.

#4 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:05 AM

3. UNC - coarse

#5 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:10 AM

Inlet/exhaust manifold studs into the head are coarse threads? No wonder I’ve stripped two while torquing them to 12 ft/lbs. Nuts.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:47 AM   Best Answer

Apparently all new SU parts are ethanol friendly, so, I'd run with the Viton Tipped Needle here.

In regards to the Head Studs, they should be OK to use again, but if you measured & recorded the length when new you can compare to that or if you didn't, measure the diameter of them in 3 places - just under the threads at each end and in the middle, any permanent stretch should be picked up by check this.

#7 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 10:55 AM

You could always fit the Grose Jet, a little bit more expensive though

They don't stick open apparently, I'm still on Viton tipped with no bother.

#8 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:38 PM

I used a Grosse jet and it flooded all the time.Viton jet fixed it and has been OK for years,with a filter post pump.Steve..

#9 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:14 PM

Oops ... brain cell not in tune this morning ... the thought of having a day off befuddled it!

I should have got it right having bought 6 Hex headed UNF bolts about 4 weeks ago!

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:22 PM

Oops ... brain cell not in tune this morning ... the thought of having a day off befuddled it!

Mate, that's me every day !

In fact, one big reason I like to tune in to TMF every day (and a couple of other forums) is to try to keep the grey matter from turning in to grey mush !

#11 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:33 PM

I used a Grosse jet and it flooded all the time.Viton jet fixed it and has been OK for years,with a filter post pump.Steve..

Got to be honest, I don.t know how the bloody things work as it has a big ball bearing thing at the end (Technical word thing), and it is supposed to shut off fuel !!??

Good to put the feedback on though on the buggers - all helps - this is what the forum is about

Looking at the "Gen" you would think they are the real McCoy of problem fixers but nice move on the heads up to point out the down side

#12 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:39 PM

In fact, one big reason I like to tune in to TMF every day (and a couple of other forums) is to try to keep the grey matter from turning in to grey mush !

Work helps ... keeps me sane ... so as I plan to retire before end of year, the new sanity project is the Austin ...

#13 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:16 AM

Work helps ... keeps me sane ... so as I plan to retire before end of year, the new sanity project is the Austin ...

Retirement ain't all its cooked up to be.  You never get a day off.   :gimme:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users