9 replies to this topic

#1 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:06 AM

Was poking about under the dash on my newly acquired first classic mini and came across two small toggle switches sticking vertically down through the vinyl lower dash covering. Both have "On/Off" imprinted on the switch mounting. With the ign switched on, the one closest to the steering wheel shuts off the fuel pump....and perhaps more? So maybe anti-theft? The other is a complete mystery as this time. Accessory electrics continued to work regardless of that switch position. Will see what happens when I toggle it next time I'm running the engine. 

Any guesses from the collective?

#2 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:33 AM

As you've discovered with one of the toggle switches, switches located where you've found them were often fitted for additional security, could the second switch be related to the starter? It might be that the only way to find out is to trace the wires back. Maybe check for non-standard wiring mods within the engine bay for clues.

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:00 AM

Possibly an ignition kill switch.

pretty pointless having 2 hidden switches if they’re both in the same place though  :lol:

Edited by GraemeC, 21 June 2020 - 07:00 AM.

#4 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:01 AM

All good possibilities. But would think having two secret toggles for anti-theft next to each other seems daft....as if the baddie finds one switch, he's also found the other ;-)

Perhaps one switch is for the self-destruct timer as per Mad Max in Road Warrior!

:nuke:

Edited by Tornado99, 21 June 2020 - 07:03 AM.

#5 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:11 AM

As you've discovered with one of the toggle switches, switches located where you've found them were often fitted for additional security, could the second switch be related to the starter? It might be that the only way to find out is to trace the wires back. Maybe check for non-standard wiring mods within the engine bay for clues.

The car seems to have a non-standard wiring harness...all wrapped in blue electrical tape. Hardly any Lucas type bullet connections to be found. I have not yet received my Haynes manual so haven't reviewed any schematics to know if the colour coding is still the same as OEM. The car seems to have once had rally lights (4) mounted to lower frame rail in front of grill and there are 4 female unused blade connectors bundled up near the ign coil.The mystrey switch might have been to toggle them on/off. There is a stock looking rocker-toggle on the dash panel with a lamp symbol and a wavy line through the lamp beam...it also has a indicator light when switched on. Is that for a rear fog lamp (not on the car) or is that for the rally lamps?

#6 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:21 AM

Ejection seat?

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:46 AM

The car seems to have a non-standard wiring harness...all wrapped in blue electrical tape. Hardly any Lucas type bullet connections to be found. I have not yet received my Haynes manual so haven't reviewed any schematics to know if the colour coding is still the same as OEM. The car seems to have once had rally lights (4) mounted to lower frame rail in front of grill and there are 4 female unused blade connectors bundled up near the ign coil.The mystrey switch might have been to toggle them on/off. There is a stock looking rocker-toggle on the dash panel with a lamp symbol and a wavy line through the lamp beam...it also has a indicator light when switched on. Is that for a rear fog lamp (not on the car) or is that for the rally lamps?

looked in the Tech section? all the wiring diagrams can be found there.

#8 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:24 PM

There is a stock looking rocker-toggle on the dash panel with a lamp symbol and a wavy line through the lamp beam...it also has a indicator light when switched on. Is that for a rear fog lamp (not on the car) or is that for the rally lamps?

It is a legal requirement to have a warning lamp for Rear Fog Lights, which makes it even harder to understand why people still have them on weeks after a misty morning.

#9 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:43 PM

I would guess one switch is on the ignition circuit to turn off coil and pump and the second is on the start circuit to prevent cranking. Most likely the dash toggle switch is for the spots.

#10 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:46 PM

OK...out for a drive today and when I got home I tested the switches. The one that seems to shut off the fuel pump in off position kept engine idling for maybe 3-4 min before it started to stumble then eventually die. So yes, I think that's a confirm on just fuel pump cut off. 

The other switch did nothing I could discern. I'm going with driving lamp controller. Need to test with a check lamp on those unoccupied spade connectors. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users