4 replies to this topic

#1 roughneckin

roughneckin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 04:25 PM

Good Morning All, a new day, a new challenge!

Can anyone help me out with the front panel attachment  I have the following on my front panel where it attaches to the subframe.

dwc9r57.jpg

My question is, do I use the threaded upper hole or send my bolt through the extra piece crossing over the access hole? I feel I use the crosspiece, but if I do the bolts sticking out of the back of the access piece don't let the front panel sit proper.  It is a 1972 MK3 so shouldn't have the teardrop from my research, but it is in Canada so possible that is what the additional threaded nut attachment is for?  I had no other points that required the poly bushings on the subframe mount, but possibly this is a donor front panel too?

havUtOH.jpg

I could probably just cut the bolts shorter but if they are stock I assume it will fit.  Odd, thanks for the help.

Edited by roughneckin, 21 June 2020 - 04:31 PM.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:21 PM

Never seen that before for a MK3. I have a MK3 clubman and apart from a shim if needed between the subbie and front panel you only need a short bolt and nut.

That would go through the large hole in the front panel to the subframe.

This is the full mounting hardware kit for a dry subframe for a MK3

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

http://www.minispare...e.aspx?3~21~206

It should a 1" long 5/16th bolt that goes through the large hole in the front panel.

#3 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:57 PM

That looks like a front panel for a mk4 onwards to take a rubber teardrop mount but has been bodged to fit earlier models.

#4 roughneckin

roughneckin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:31 PM

That looks like a front panel for a mk4 onwards to take a rubber teardrop mount but has been bodged to fit earlier models.

This is what I was thinking now too. I got the car with a bundle of extra parts but no idea where the extras came from. This could definitely be the issue. Can anyone see an issue with installing the teardrop mount to this so I can remove the little cross piece that interferes with the subframe? I can’t imagine it will stick out far enough to disrupt the other panels from meeting up too much.

With all the different parts and weird holes on this I feel it was headed for a race car with a flip front before but things changed.

Does anyone have a pic of the hole in the front without a teardrop installation?

Edited by roughneckin, 21 June 2020 - 07:34 PM.

#5 roughneckin

roughneckin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:58 PM

I was able to move it around a bit and sneak the bolts extending out past the subframe now but might cut them down either way to lessen the amount of spacers I need to fill the gap. See how it plays out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users