9 replies to this topic

#1 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:06 PM

What are folks using for jacks? Would be nice to have a small scissor type for stowing in the boot as emerg road side tire repair. Would that work well for regular under car maintenance also? Trying to avoid having a larger floor jack that I then need to store someplace (no garage).

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:09 PM

Floor jack is safer all round, however I have a scissor jack for emergency use stowed in the car. I then use a trolley Jack or floor jack for the garage. And then once the car is at height I put bricks or axle stands as a safety net

Edited by cal844, 21 June 2020 - 05:10 PM.

#3 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:32 PM

Old Halfords trolley jack at home, just about won't fit under the front so have to drive her up on some wood planks before I start. I think the current ones come in a plastic case to make storage easier.

Don't have a jack in the car, so will be watching this thread for suggestions.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:54 PM

I use this scissor jack but have modified the contact area with a length of C channel steel welded on to give more load

https://www.ebay.co....LgAAOSweyxexVXW

#5 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:06 PM

I looked at a small bottle jack, but at 8" minimum height, it is too big to fit under the mini jack locations (front suspension hard points etc).

Scissor jacks are readily available on local buy/sell websites from many makes of cars. The ones I've seen on modern cars all have a slotted section that is meant to fit around a body/frame seem for lifting. I like the idea of welding something to the jack to make a better shape for our cars. Was thinking to bond a bit of hard rubber or wood. 

#6 gdcarpenter

gdcarpenter

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:16 PM

Since my Mini didn't come with a jack I bought a scissor Jack and mounted it on the boot lid. Didn't want it to get 'lost' in that cavernous boot when I needed it:)

Attached Files

Edited by gdcarpenter, 21 June 2020 - 08:18 PM.

#7 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:32 AM

I have a lightweight low entry trolley jack for home use and scissor jack for carrying in car

#8 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:40 AM

I have a small bottle jack from Machine Mart for emergency use. It fits under both rear and front subframes, and I have a ice hockey puck to spread the load. I personally wouldn't use a scissor jack that doesn't fit into a designated jacking point. Ok on a flat solid surface but no guarantee where you'll be when you need to use it in anger.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:40 AM

Original eqpt jacks are often better quality. The Metro had a nice scissor jack, you could throw some popular car model names in Ebay & see what comes up, or have a root round a scrapyard, if there are any left that'll let you.

#10 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:10 PM

So I went to the local low-grade automotive shop that sells all the best stuff from sweat shops in China. Got a somewhat decent 2-ton floor jack for $29 and pair of 2-ton stands for $29. They had some cute folding stands for $19 but didn't like the rivets at the leg pivots and the whole thing wobbled too much for my safety. They also had red-powder coated scissor jacks for $19....almost got one as it matches my car paint....but will think on this some more. I don't recall ever using a jack on the road in past 3 decades. Also this car didn't have spare wheel anyway so there wouldn't be much point to carrying a jack. Will get a puncture kit and inflator to stow plus I've got roadside assistance through auto club. 

Edited by Tornado99, 22 June 2020 - 05:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users