521 replies to this topic

#1 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:34 AM

Hi all, back in the world of Mini's after a long time looking/saving/hoping....previous build is here http://www.theminifo...an-resto/page-1

Just took delivery of this last week, a 1983 Leyland Mini City, 998cc. 

Overall, shell is in really good condition, small amount of rust at drivers door step at B pillar.

Both front floor pans look like they have been used as jacking points, passenger side has a small hole, along with a small hole on the bottom of the inner wing.

Passenger door bottom needs repair, as does the boot lid bottom.

Small patch of rust on rear bulk head near parcel shelf.

Underside needs a good wire brush & seal.

Its currently a non-runner, as it has been lying up for the past few years. Battery is totally flat but engine is turning freely by hand. I will flush oil and coolant, service it and stick in a new battery and see if it starts and drives.

Everything looks to be complete, just in need of a good tidy. 

50033014681_a94d2fb1e0_o.jpg 

50033272127_941c977ceb_o.jpg

50033014666_d152356e6b_o.jpg

50033272097_f092741708_o.jpg

50033014606_09e6bd5c91_o.jpg

50032475363_aea01e75df_o.jpg

#2 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

Let's hope it's as good as it looks on the surface - my '89 City needed a rear wheelarch, sills repairs to the floor and a new front end, but not as bad as some later cars.

#3 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 01:06 PM

From what I have seen so far, its all nice and solid. I haven't got any good pictures of the underside yet, hopefully get some this evening if its not lashing!

Tried charging the battery over the weekend, but the charger decide to break, so will pickup another one soon.

I suspect the battery is past it, as one of the receipts that was in the car was for a battery in 2010.

I also think all 4 tires will need replacing as they are also marked 2010, they are plenty of deep cracks on both the thread and side wall and a slow puncture in one, but they can wait until its up and running!

#4 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 01:51 PM

What look are you planning?

#5 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:58 PM

Not planning anything major yet, tidy it up and get it running for driving, as I only got to drive my previous one 2 or 3 times before needing to sell it.

Picked up a new battery today, 067 type, snug fit. Have to remove a lead extension that was put on, then a new earth cable.

No fuel in system, but it's cranking freely.

Quick check on electrics show a few fuses and relays are needed, I would say all connections need to be taken apart and cleaned to make them good.

Have brake lights, indicators that don't flash, headlights that only flash, no sidelights, horn works, wipers work but slowly. Heater fan works, hazards work but don't flash.

Fuel tank cap doesn't open, don't know if it's siezed or wrong key so I'll have to get flat head screwdriver to that.

Driver's door and boot don't have keys either, so I think new locks all round is best option.

Edited by colinf1, 22 June 2020 - 08:44 PM.

#6 mercenary62

mercenary62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Local Club: mini clan

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:35 PM

nice looking project mate  keep the pics coming

#7 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:15 PM

Glad to see you're back at it  =]

#8 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:26 PM

Thanks Jared, I have been keeping an eye on your build also, hopefully you find the time to get back into it...

Got some oil, oil filter and spark plugs. Will flush coolant and service engine before trying to start it.

Had another look over body work, 2 small holes in drivers rear wheel arch, about 50p size, so I've added those to the list for sorting.

Done a magnet test all over body, all appears to be fine apart from passenger side A panel, last 50mm looks to be filler, again thats to be sorted along with the inner wing and passenger front floor...all around the same spot.

On another topic, does anyone know the website that allows you to customise a mini cartoon graphic for signature, can't seem to remember where the one below was from....

#9 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:00 AM

Drained out the stale fuel from carb and pump, local garage only has 1 pump and it was out of order so took a bit from my lawnmower.

Cranked for about 30secs before firing up to a very very rough idle.

The throttle body is all gunked up so that needs a good clean to free it all up.

Took bonnet off, much better access now.

Hopefully weather isn't too bad at the weekend to get the service done

#10 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:06 PM

Constant rain here today, so got nothing done outside. Had a few bits taken off and in shed, so cleaned up coil and was trying to fix a broken battery maintenance charger.

Put new terminals on battery lead, replaced the braided earth strap with a piece of battery cable. Just need to flow some solder into the terminal ends.

My minispares basket is filling up,,, hopefully be putting in an order soon

#11 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:48 PM

Finally some good weather this evening...

Done a quick oil & filter change, new spark plugs

Took off front bumper, grille and number plate, all in need of a refurb..

Cleaned around engine bay and engine itself, very gunky, may need to get pressure washer to it to lift gunk in hard too reach places

#12 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:18 AM

Looks like the great basis for a project, without too much body work needed

#13 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:53 AM

Got an hour or so at it last night, put some fresh fuel in, reattached the coil but wont start now.

There seems to be too many wires going to the + side of the coil, so the plan is to remove the tape and see what wire is what, trace them back to source and try and figure out whats what.

Got some switches to redo my switch panel in a similar design to my Aussie clubman. Also going to convert over to blade fuses.

Looking at the forecast, it doesn't look too promising for the weekend, weather like this really makes me want to get a proper garage :(

#14 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:56 AM

Is there any need to keep the brake failure test switch?

#15 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM

depends how  your MOT tester views it.It may be required but he may not be aware of it.I once had a fail for it.Steve..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users