#1 Mayfair'93

Mayfair'93

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:23 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm afraid I have a very basic question but it is something I've been struggling with all weekend!

I have a 1993 Mayfair 1275cc carburettor.

I'm replacing the top engine steady bushes. The bracket and steady have come away from the block just fine. I have removed the nut and washer from the bolt fixing the steady to the clutch master cylinder mounting plate. I can't however remove the bolt from the steady to release it. The bolt will spin but won't pull out. I can't get anything underneath the mounting plate to knock it up and out and I can't get purchase or leverage on the bolt head to lift it up.

Am I missing something? Any tips on drawing the bolt up and out?

Cheers,

E.

#2 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:34 PM

These bolts are always giving grief. The issue is that the inner metal sleeve of the Bush corrodes and thus the bolt gets stuck. I have had this issue a few times and the best way I found was to just hacksaw the head of the bolt off under the top of the bulkhead plate using one of those hacksaw blades in a handle jobbie. Takes a while.

#3 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:56 PM

It was a while ago, but I think I ended up using Mole Grips and wiggling it as I pulled up on mine.

It was awkward as the earth strap and mounting plate didin't leave a lot of room to get the jaws in.

You can try levering the steady bar itself up to expose a few mm more of bolt head.

#4 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 07:56 AM

I use a junior hacksaw to saw through the bolt/sleeve where the rubber bush meets the top and bottom plates. That way you don't damage the mounting plates. Fit new bolt, rubber and sleeve.

#5 Mayfair'93

Mayfair'93

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I'll give it another go this weekend.

#6 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:28 PM

If the bolt turns, you could try some penetrating fluid, you might just get lucky but leave it soak for days not minutes

#7 Tds76

Tds76

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:33 PM

I had exactly the same issue and ended up using a hacksaw blade between the rubber & upper plate. I also put some anti-seize around the new bolt when re-assembling.

Edited by Tds76, 26 June 2020 - 10:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users