#1 gilesc50

gilesc50

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:24 PM

Hi

My mini has stopped selecting 3rd or 4th (wont move out of neutral). It does select 1,2 and reverse (seen other people saying theirs wont get into 3/4 and reverse). I have watched under the car and there is no slop from the 2 rubber bobbins holding the gearselector under the car. Its a 1983 mini sprite with stage 1 kit and 40k miles, so A+ rod change. I checked the top rod to gearbox bolt is tight.

Any ideas of anything else to check or is it now a gearbox out, strip and rebuild?

Giles

#2 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:28 PM

Have any of the roll pins worked Loose?

#3 gilesc50

gilesc50

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:49 PM

No I've got one of these fitted which replaces both of them; http://www.minispare...kage/MSG13.aspx

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:41 PM

Apart from being unable to select 3rd & 4th, how does the gear stick feel ?

Is it tighter or stiffer than it used to be, in particular, when moving the stick left to right across the neutral gate ?

Does it feel like it wants to start going in to gear or are you just completely lock out of the 3rd / 4th gate altogether ?

#5 gilesc50

gilesc50

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:10 PM

Gear stick feel normal apart form it wont slot up or down into 3/4th - feels like the stick wont leave the horizontal neutral line even a tiny bit to go up or down. So yes completely locked out of 3/4th. Also its 1993 not 1983.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:18 PM

I've done a few gearboxes over the years and found some very curly problems, but this is a new one to me.

I'd suggest disconnecting the Shift Rod from the Gearbox, then feel the shifter itself. It should have a wide and totally free movement.

Then try shifting direct in to the Gearbox itself from the Shift Input Shaft I usually do this with a No. 1 Phillips Driver through the Roll Pin Hole, rolling it left and right, you'll get a feel for it's range of movement here, and it should roll fairly easy, then around midway, will be the 3rd / 4th gate. See if you can Pull the shaft out and then in. Out is 3rd and in is 4th.

Try it also for 1st & 2nd as well as Reverse, so you can get a feel for it. Reverse is easier of all the gears.

If you can't select 3rd and 4th from here, then guessing what it might be is pointless as it will need to come out and be split off the engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users