6 replies to this topic

#1 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:09 PM

On an 89 Mayfair we have no rear or side lights, the instrument and number plate lights also not working. Main and dipped beam are working ok.

Cleaned up the fuse box and checked fuses, I'm also measuring 12v on both sides from the red to red/green wire on the other side. Gutted because I was convinced it would be a simple fix like a fuse.

Tried a different light switch and checked power was getting through and it seems the switch iz ok.

I'd like to know where the red/green wire goes next and where is the junction which splits it off to the instruments and rear of the car? Behind the grille i found the junction to the front lights and applied a 12v feed which made front side lights come on but nothing else.

Found this thread but I think I've exhausted suggestions made: http://www.theminifo...ar-lights-wont/

Edited by Haynes, 22 June 2020 - 08:17 PM.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:12 PM

Clean the earth ring terminals at the bulkhead then clean the junctions at the grille

#3 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:24 PM

Just been out and cleaned up the earth terminals on the os inner wing, still no joy.

#4 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:40 PM

have you cleaned up the terminals and connectors on the fuse box ?

having 12volts on both sides of the fuse doesn't mean you've got a good circuit, just that you have continuity - for the circuit to function it needs to have continuity and be able to allow current to flow

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:27 PM

Have you removed the fuse box and looked at the reverse side, there is often hidden corrosion behind which causes problems, a new genuine fuse box from Minispares is often best for longer term reliability.

Edited by mab01uk, 22 June 2020 - 10:27 PM.

#6 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:21 AM

I just put a new fuse box on mine, genuine Lucas about £15 hoping it will help when I get mine finished,

#7 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:57 PM

Ok now fixed. We put light switch on and wiggled some wires around and it came on. Then it went off then minutes later it came on again without touching anything!

The connection to the fuse box was really hot which should have been a clue. So we put a new crimp on and all working now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users