7 replies to this topic

#1 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:23 AM

How would one jump start a positive ground car with a dead battery using a negative ground car's battery?

#2 Clip

Clip

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 07:01 AM

How would one jump start a positive ground car with a dead battery using a negative ground car's battery?

If this is confusing for you just connect both cars directly to their batteries. Negative goes to negative, positive to positive. 

Edited by Clip, 23 June 2020 - 07:02 AM.

#3 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 June 2020 - 07:42 AM

The only thing you would have to watch out for is to make sure nothing metal on the 2 body shells touch each other as one is negative and one positive. So provided you do as above (just connect the 2 batteries) it will be fine.

#4 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:43 AM

If this is confusing for you just connect both cars directly to their batteries. Negative goes to negative, positive to positive. 

It is confusing to me.  So it would be; Negative terminal on dead battery on the positive ground car, connected to the negative terminal terminal on the negative ground car (power).  And the positive terminal of the dead battery on the positive ground car to a point on the chassis of the negative ground car (ground)?

Edited by croc7, 24 June 2020 - 02:44 AM.

#5 retired

retired

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:11 AM

It is confusing to me.  So it would be; Negative terminal on dead battery on the positive ground car, connected to the negative terminal terminal on the negative ground car (power).  And the positive terminal of the dead battery on the positive ground car to a point on the chassis of the negative ground car (ground)?

No, because the chassis of the negative ground car is negative, not positive, and is not power.....

Just ignore the chassis of each/either, just make sure they are not touching each other (as mentioned earlier) and just connect the battery terminals, positive to positive, and negative to negative.

Connecting direct to the terminals is better anyway (less voltage drop) and ideally connect to the dead battery last as there will be a small spark and the dead battery is least likely to have any hydrogen around it (unless you have recently been trying to charge it with a normal charger).

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:04 AM

Connecting direct to the terminals is better anyway (less voltage drop) and ideally connect to the dead battery last as there will be a small spark and the dead battery is least likely to have any hydrogen around it (unless you have recently been trying to charge it with a normal charger).

Technically not true - the weak battery is most likely to give off hydrogen, especially once the leads are connected and/or the car started.  For this reason I would NOT connect to moth terminals of the weak battery as there is an increased chance of explosion.

In this scenario I would connect in the following order:

Black lead to -ve terminal of good car

Black lead to -ve terminal of flat car 

Red lead to +ve terminal of good car (make sure the other end isn't touching anything)

Red lead to chassis or ground point of flat car (personally, if the leads are long enough I would connect it to the engine block where the earth strap is - somewhere away from the battery)

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:01 PM

Make sure the vehicles are 'socially distanced'  ;D .

#8 retired

retired

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:24 PM

Technically not true - the weak battery is most likely to give off hydrogen, especially once the leads are connected and/or the car started.  For this reason I would NOT connect to moth terminals of the weak battery as there is an increased chance of explosion.

Incorrect I'm afraid.

The dead battery will give off no hydrogen unless the OP has been trying to charge it.

If it is dead/flat there will be no hydrogen.

But a live/working battery will always have some around it.

Basic physics really.

Always make the last connection to the dead battery (unless you have recently been trying to charge it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users