6 replies to this topic

#1 Camel

Camel

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:39 PM

Looking for some opinions on this rusty and holed specimen. It was my first car and the plan is for it to be my last if possible even though it's nothing special to anybody else, just a 91 Studio 2.

It's spent the past few years tucked away in a dry garage acting as a storage shelf and cupboard. Prior to that it lived outside under a car cover for about 4 years which didn't do it any good but I had nowhere else to store it. Now I've got enough garage space to fit 6 Minis it's about time I started fixing her back up again over the next few years. 

The sills are getting to the point where they're more holes than metal or even rust and the boot is a no go zone under the fuel tank. I've got access to a family member who can "help" me with the welding by doing it all... And I'm handy with a spanner. I took it all to pieces so I'm sure I can put it back together. 

But from a safety perspective is it worth saving to put back on the road? I think it's savable as long as I brace it properly before taking the sills and floor out but it's my first project car and want it to be right when done.

Album Link

It looked nice from a distance in the 9 months I drove it but there were plenty of hidden nasties that led me to taking it off the road for some small repairs that quickly got out of hand. 

Attached File  mini.jpg   54.2K   1 downloads

Cheers for taking a look!

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:12 PM

That's not that bad, I've seen worse!

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:30 PM

Nothing unusual there and pretty much standard rust findings.

All very repairable and straight forward.

#4 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:32 PM

I wish I could get my hands on my 1st 1275gt. I say go for it you'll regret it if you don't and it's really a labour of love!!!

#5 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:33 PM

I agree with the above, there have been worse condition cars that have been brought back from the brink.

Just keep in mind that if you do go ahead, it is not a race. You can put it down for a while and it will still be there when you are ready to crack back on with it.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:44 PM

Definitely savable and you will find many people on the Mini Forums, (including me) who wish they could get their first Mini back in any condition to restore!

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 June 2020 - 07:26 PM

Anything is restorable:see this wheelnut?( not my quote).Steve..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users