#1 SMP

SMP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:41 PM

HI All,

I need to replace a six inch section on the top of the rear wheel arch.  I don't really want to replace the whole wheel arch - looks like a big job and I'm trying to do running repairs not a restoration !

On the original wheel arch is the weld shown spot welded or seam welded?  Best I can tell it looks like it is "roller welded" - similar to the roofs?

Also - just out of interest - how long do you reckon it would take to replace a wheel arch - with all the panels in place ?    My concern would be finding all the spot welds !

Thanks

Attached File  Wheel arch weld.jpg   10.23K   1 downloads

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:51 PM

I wouldn’t tackle a full inner wheel arch panel replacement without subframe out, and as for time it really depends how good the surrounding metal work is, I fitted one full side with quarter panel and all surrounding panels in less than a day per side, but it was a bare shell with new boot floor and main floor already fitted. If it’s only gone where you say then a panel could be formed with basic tools, and done in a day including painting.access can be difficult inside the boot though. You can buy that part as a repair panel as well. Trouble is as a running repair you are under pressure and it could end up a bigger job than you initially thought. 

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 June 2020 - 09:44 AM

To carefully remove all of the spot welds and there are a lot and some in places you would not think of will take you the best part of a morning.

It can be done in situ even with the subbie fitted but its not an easy job. So as you are doing running repairs, dont go down the complete panel replacement, but focus on the area you need to repair. You can buy the cheaper Magnum inner arch panels and cut out from that what you need.

Below is the repair i did to my mates Cooper. This car was covered in repair patches and the arch was one of many. This is what i saved and it shows a lot of the spot welds that are hidden. The primary one is the bump stop which is a swine to get to. I used a Magnum half panel to replace the other section which looked like this before hand

1a320522766cc81685dfd05d2712267f0273e65c

7c50f3f17e23df37ab435e05d692994401308d90

New Magnum panel pinned in place along with the repaired inner section.

6c09cbd72843947ee3acfa7392e452a10e805914

#4 SMP

SMP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:06 PM

Thanks chaps. It's not a true running repair - I have got the subframe out - but definitely not doing a resto job on it - have already got the other mini in bits supposedly being restored !

Have parted the arch to quarter panel and made front and rear cuts across the top of the arch. Now its just the seam between the vertical (inner) wall of the arch and that repair panel as shown in your picture Sonikk4. Is that seam a continuous weld or spots? As I'm working at the very top I have the shocker reinforcement in the way so am coming at it from under the arch and not the boot. Am thinking I will need to slice the whole welded area off and weld a new flange back on - to which I can then attach the repair panel. Thoughts ?

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:08 AM

Sorry I should have said it was roller spot welded on the Red Cooper. Pain in the backside.

#6 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:25 AM

I am doing a similar job and am trying to avoid removing the whole wheel arch. I will have the space to do so because I am doing the quarter panel as well, I just doubt my skills when it comes to removing pieces cleanly. I am not going for perfect with my resto/rust repairs though. Sonikk4 I believe I saw a post once where you replaced the wheel arch the wrong way around (welded the flange to the other side), although its not factory would that make for an easier repair?

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:27 PM

I am doing a similar job and am trying to avoid removing the whole wheel arch. I will have the space to do so because I am doing the quarter panel as well, I just doubt my skills when it comes to removing pieces cleanly. I am not going for perfect with my resto/rust repairs though. Sonikk4 I believe I saw a post once where you replaced the wheel arch the wrong way around (welded the flange to the other side), although its not factory would that make for an easier repair?

Yup did that on my lads car. A lesson learnt there as yes it was wrong but to be honest unless you knew where to look then it’s not the end of the world.

#8 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:13 PM

Yup did that on my lads car. A lesson learnt there as yes it was wrong but to be honest unless you knew where to look then it’s not the end of the world.

I haven't fully decided how I want to tackle it but this method has definitely crossed my mind, I am not going for factory perfection just want the rot gone and the car to be strong. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users