7 replies to this topic

#1 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:52 AM

How are people attaching the lower edge strips between front & rear wheel arches? My car had them almost falling off when I checked. There are a couple of small holes along the body seem but no sign of corresponding holes in the plastic trim pieces. I'm thinking to use silicone sealant to attached. Should hold and yet allow removal in the future. 

#2 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:44 AM

If the trim is in good condition it should push on and grip the flange and hold itself there.

It would a good idea to add some waxoyl or similar in the bottom 'crease' of the trim, prior to fitting to protect the edge of the flange and also remove the trim a couple of times a year to inspect for rust.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:56 AM

Pop rivets are often used to secure the trims each end (you have to drill the holes in the plastic trim) or a dab of clear silicone sealant would probably work if you prefer.

If you just rely on the grip of the trim on the flange, at some point one end usually comes adrift (on a motorway for instance) and the trim gets lost or damaged.

Edited by mab01uk, 24 June 2020 - 07:59 AM.

#4 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 09:58 AM

Sometimes with plastic that's been molded it can be beneficial to remove it, immerse it in hot water, give it a squeeze to compress  and then let it cool. Some have used hairdryers to encourage the trim back to its original form.

#5 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:28 AM

I had a trim come loose on a run at a car show, a packet of chewing gum purchased and the problem was solved, 8 years later its stil doing the job!

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:47 AM

'Tiger Seal' at each end works wonders.

#7 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:15 PM

Good tips. This trim is not the "chrome" strip I've seen on stock cars that also wraps up around the wheel arches. This is a hard black plastic, straight section. No metal clips in the channel and no fixing holes drilled, though there are a few drilled in the actual body seams. Not sure what was ever holding this stuff in place. Didn't seem to have any actual grip on the seam. 

Will give some silicone a try. In marine applications I've used a product called 3M 5200  which is a high bond strength poly-urethane sealant. Nearly impossible to remove with a special release agent and lots of elbow grease. Not sure I'd want that level of adherence for these trim pieces....

#8 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:30 PM

I was using a Dynax wax like underseal on the body and stuck the trims on with that.

When they need to come off a heat gun warms it up enough, plus no danger of rust forming under the trim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users