14 replies to this topic

#1 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:29 PM

As per the title... What exactly happened here? I have been hearing some squeaking coming from my suspension for a while now, sometimes almost inaudbly, sometimes quite loud (to the point where the usual fix of turning up the radio no longer really helped  :lol:) Also, on hard braking it pulled left quite noticeably, while the brakes were just fine (I checked)

Took it up today, thought might just need some greasing, but then I noticed this. Did the rubber spring shift position or did it shear off from its base? The car is on Hi-Lo's, not sure which spring I should be ordering (the minispares fast road one? How would that affect ride height? Car is lowered a bunch already)

Looking for some advice on best course of action here... Replace both? Just shift it back into position? Which one should I be ordering?

I did not install them myself, they were on the car when I got it, and I guess they are at least 5-6 years old at the minimum...

Attached Files

#2 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:36 PM

Looks like something has come adrift. Is that ripple you can see rubber or is it the metal ring that the rubber should be attached to?

Either way I would replace both sides as you don't want to take a chance with suspension components.

#3 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:44 PM

looks like the hi-lo has dropped out of the base of the rubber cone

if you're still driving the car, the first thing to do is get the hi-lo back into the base of the rubber cone if you can - it's possible the top of the hi-lo has been damaged by seating out of position

also possibly worth adjusting (lengthen) the hi-lo's (both sides!) so that they can't fall out of the cones when the wheels are off the ground

#4 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:45 PM

I didn't have the time to check- tomorrow I will go back and see if it is metal or rubber. If it is rubber, I will try nudging the spring back in the correct position while waiting for parts.

Which springs should I be ordering? I know all things rubber are a big issue on the mini, and there seem to be a few different variations available...

Edited by Coolingthunder, 25 June 2020 - 04:46 PM.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,922 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:34 PM

As KTS has mentioned, the rubber cone itself does look to be in place, however, the Hilo has dislodged from the Cone. You may not be able to get the Hilo back in to the cone as the metal inner in the Cone may have crimped over and / or the Hilo will have a distorted notch in it from the metal inset of the cone, however, it's likely with some careful use of a file, you'll be able to save the Hilo.

I'd say this occurred do to the suspension being set on the low side and the cone being old and looking more like a pancake.

If you replace the cones, it will totally transform the feel of the car. For most road use, I'd suggest Genuine types as offered by Mini Spares. I'm sure when you get it apart, you'll find a load of other wear parts that will need replacing too.

#6 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:19 PM

Moke Spider, thanks for your reply to another one of my many issues haha.

The suspension is set fairly low, that's true. I will try to see tomorrow what I can do to put it back in place if possible.

If need be I can order some new Hi Los then... Can you tell from the pic if they are Minisport or Minispares, or is there no real difference?

With regards to the cones, I was talking about the fast road/rally items, as I have to admit my driving style is more fast road than anything else, especially in the corners haha! But as apparently they are a different height I don't want to end up fiddling hours to get everything back to normal...

Bump stops definitely need replacing too. Anything else I might encounter?

#7 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:10 PM

When uou lowered it did you fit the corresponding shock absorbers.. they may be too long "holding" the suspension "up" which will allow the hi low to drop out..

#8 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:32 PM

When uou lowered it did you fit the corresponding shock absorbers.. they may be too long "holding" the suspension "up" which will allow the hi low to drop out..

Good question, I did not lower it myself, so I just ordered the same part number as was on there... Assuming that it would be correct.

I bought the car lowered already.

#9 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:02 AM

I'd agree, looks like the hilo has dropped out because it's too short when the suspension is at full(ish) travel. As has been mentioned above it may be because the cones have flattened over time, this will make the car too look low, or the the hilos have been set too short for standard ride height dampers.  I lowered my Mini when fitting new cones a few years back, but raised it again when I realised how easily my cones fell out when the car was low.

To show the difference between standard and lowered dampers here are a couple of examples, there's 26mm difierence in open length between these two.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Could this have happened because the knuckle joint it seized in the top arm, pulling the hilo out of the cone?

Edited by humph, 26 June 2020 - 09:05 AM.

#10 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:28 AM

Is the rebound buffer missing, difficult to see in photo. If missing it will allow the suspension to drop further and the hilo able to dislodge.

#11 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:23 AM

I will check this afternoon.

So I guess I will be needing new shocks too, or raise the car back up?

Could anybody give me advice on which shocks?

#12 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:48 PM

The rebound buffer is still there. Have noticed that on the left side the trumpet of the Hilo is flush against the subframe, on the right I can fit a finger between the trumpet and the frame.

#13 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:02 PM

Sorry for the spamming, but I have just found another problem...

Looks like a rubber seal blew on the top arm, everything is covered in grease... Is this just a rubber seal or a sign of more damage?

Attached Files

#14 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

That's normal, nothing wrong. Old grease escapes from there when you pump grease into the upper arm bearings via the grease nipple. Just wipe off excess.

#15 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:45 PM

No it's really blown as half of it was sticking out, ripped off. I pulled it right off, and was ripped (showing clear signs of rubber degradation) so that is something else to go on the list haha.

Phoned Minispares today (as lowered shocks really had no place in the budget), turns out my car is not lowered a lot (floor plan is at 14 cm), about 1.5cm which apparently doesn't really require shorter shocks. Given the state of Belgian roads I really don't want it lower anyway.

Maybe the super hard and uncomfortable ride came from the pancaked rubber springs? Waiting on parts now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users