15 replies to this topic

#1 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:37 PM

Anyone had a problem with the chrome windscreen fillet strip wrinkling in the sun. It's only been on the car 18 months. It came from Minispares but is there a better one from another supplier.

Attached Files

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:36 PM

Mine did this probably a couple of months after fitting, same rubbish quality from minispares. I was going to try some from phoenix trims as I've heard they are good quality.

#3 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:36 PM

I have the same on my rear windscreen one. Same source, same length of time and mine is kept in a windowless garage. I was thinking of replacing it with a black fillet, in the hope that it would last longer.

Attached Files

#4 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:55 PM

I have just fitted black fillets,what a mission as they are not stiff like the "chrome" ones they took some persuading.Steve...

#5 buznout

buznout

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:13 PM

Actually the fillet in my windscreen as done this also. Was only done a few months ago but I thought it was due to the way the installers put it in..

#6 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:41 PM

Mine did this probably a couple of months after fitting, same rubbish quality from minispares. I was going to try some from phoenix trims as I've heard they are good quality.

Hi Alex,
I've just bought some from Phoenix I will let you know if they are any good. Thanks for the tip.

#7 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:43 AM

Just fitted a new fillet strip from Phoenix to the back windscreen. I bought this tool from minimine:-

https://www.ebay.co....hoAAOxyXWdQ8BFg

Having never done it before using that tool took me 10 minutes, 20 minutes quicker than the windscreen fitter who had just the loop tool. Lubricate the channel with a small amount of neat washing up liquid all around (don't add any water to it) with a small artists brush and a plastic trim removal tool with a wood chisel like end. An assistant to line up the bead and if you are right handed go anti clockwise.

I'll park it out in the sun when it comes out and let you know if it is any good.

#8 bikewiz

bikewiz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Local Club: NEMO

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:04 PM

Although costly to ship David Ainley from Classic Minis Japan sells a very high quality locking strip and window rubber.The strip on the left is a MS one the strip on the right is CMJ.

Attached File  lockstrip - Edited.jpg   101.63K   4 downloads

Attached File  lockstrip3 - Edited.jpg   32.83K   0 downloads

Attached File  lockstrip2 - Edited.jpg   23.73K   0 downloads

#9 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:00 PM

The Phoenix fillet strip is a crinkler just like the Minispares one. I'll try one from minimine as it has the same profile as the one from Japan and see how that goes.

#10 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:55 PM

Great to see someone trialing this well done

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:20 PM

I suspect it is more to do with the stress its put under when fitting rather than exposure to the sun.

Maybe the internal foil is deformed more on the MS style one as it is curved to begin with.

#12 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: British Car Club of Charleston

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:48 PM

And they turn yellow over time. The last one I used came from Moss Motors, and seems to be holding up well after a year or so.

#13 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:56 PM

I suspect it is more to do with the stress its put under when fitting rather than exposure to the sun.
Maybe the internal foil is deformed more on the MS style one as it is curved to begin with.

Graeme I think you're spot on with the curve in the foil being stressed when fitting especially in the corners it must delaminate from the plastic it's embedded in and when the full sun gets on it it shrinks and wrinkles it. The flatter foil perhaps will be less prone to that. I've got some on the way so we'll see what happens when it's fitted. Thanks for that.

#14 bartman

bartman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:13 PM

I have got some from mini spares and its done the same. clearly there is a manufacturing fault with it. the original rover one did not do this.

This forum needs a section so people can highlight these issues and maybe the manufacturers will start to listen and improve their crappy products.

#15 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:13 PM

The flatter foil perhaps will be less prone to that. I've got some on the way so we'll see what happens when it's fitted. Thanks for that.

Bump!

How did the flatter foil one do, Chris?

Where did you get it from?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users