#1 madcapkillerb

madcapkillerb

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:08 AM

Hello all,
this is my first post here so let me know if i did anything wrong.
basically me and my dad had to end up replacing the clutch in his mini and after we got everything back together with the new clutch it started fine. we left it to test drive the next day as it was pretty late and come the next day it wasn't running right. the car will sometimes run after messing with it for a while but if you give it any quick throttle inputs it will backfire and die. we have replaced sparkplugs and the ignition coil as well as checked the distributor for any obvious problems. currently as we have it it will not start but when you crank it it will sometimes backfire out of the intake. We have checked the vacuum lines to the ecu and whatnot and they all seem fine so not sure what the problem may be. also I'm not super familiar with minis so I am sorry if I got any of the terminology wrong. hopefully you guys will have some ideas for us to try next

Thank you for any help

#2 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:48 AM

Welcome to TMF!

Check for anything you might have disturbed wiring wise.

You wrote changed the clutch - was it a matched assembly and the correct SPi clutch ?

The reason is that if you have replaced part of it or not taken care with getting the right one, you can have the alignment for the timing out.

Given the work you have done, I would be also better checking the crank sensor hasn't been damaged/disturbed in the process of changing the clutch. Also check that the plug connection is good to this sensor.

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 26 June 2020 - 07:51 AM.

#3 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:51 AM

Could the flywheel be out by 180° ???

#4 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:28 AM

As above, if you have changed the pressure plate it must be an SPi item as the angle between the boss holes and flywheel holes can be different on other pressure plates upsetting the timing.

#5 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:42 PM

Hello all,
this is my first post here so let me know if i did anything wrong.

Yes, you bought a classic mini. :lol:   Regardless, like it was already mentioned the SPI, MPI and non injected engine flywheels are all different animals. Te same goes for the fuel injected and not injected pressure plate. Here is an explanation for the matching parts:

http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

Assuming that all that is straightened out, then look for the obvious following Sprocket's excellent guide, starting with the vacuum pipes:

http://www.theminifo...oint-injection/

Good luck!

#6 madcapkillerb

madcapkillerb

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:30 AM

Welcome to TMF!

Check for anything you might have disturbed wiring wise.

You wrote changed the clutch - was it a matched assembly and the correct SPi clutch ?

The reason is that if you have replaced part of it or not taken care with getting the right one, you can have the alignment for the timing out.

Given the work you have done, I would be also better checking the crank sensor hasn't been damaged/disturbed in the process of changing the clutch. Also check that the plug connection is good to this sensor.

FS

Thanks for all the suggestions and links guys this is great help!

the clutch kit we put in was a GCK152MS which seems to be the correct one for the model; could it still be misaligned by 180 degrees?

We did take the crank sensor off to have a look at it and it did have a bit of metal shrapnel stuck to it that we took off. Also I forgot to mention in the original post but when we finished the clutch it started fine but the next day we tried starting it in nuetral with the clutch pedal not pushed in and the starter was not engaging. This was fixed after we pushed the clutch in to start it but I thought i would still mention it just incase. Also I don't know if this is any help but it is a 93 jdm model.

Thanks again for all the great ideas and help guys! hopefully we can get her running right soon!

#7 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:23 AM

The first thing that jumped into my head is that the flywheel is spinning on the crank :ohno: . When you started the first time did you move the car in gear?

#8 madcapkillerb

madcapkillerb

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:49 PM

The first thing that jumped into my head is that the flywheel is spinning on the crank :ohno: . When you started the first time did you move the car in gear?

uh oh that doesn't sound good aha yeah we moved it backwards and forwards a couple times before turning it off

#9 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:29 PM

Take off the starting motor and see if there is any movement in the fly wheel.

#10 madcapkillerb

madcapkillerb

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:08 AM

Hello everyone sorry for the delay in updates but we have been waiting on shipping. We ended up ordering a new crank sensor and now the car will start almost every time and idle somewhat normally. now the problem we are running into is that if you quickly hit the gas pedal it will sputter and die. it can be revved gradually by pressing the pedal in very slowly but once it reached about 2000-2500 rpm the car will not rev any higher and sometimes lower in revs and start popping slightly. if the throttle is brought back down slowly it will idle again but if we just let go of the throttle from high rpm it will die. We are going to replace the fuel filter next as we already bought one and I think we will try and tackle the vacuum lines again and give them a good once over. Thanks again for all of your guys help and sorry for the delay in updates.

#11 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:55 PM

Okay if the car will not rev over 2500 then given the age of the car.... it is probably either an early Spi ECU with a damaged or faulty throttle switch or the throttle position sensor is worn/damaged.

Check for a throttle switch and whether it works (it’s fitted to the accelerator pedal and you need a multimeter to check the switch is working). If it doesn’t have a switch then measure the TPS and check either with the connector off on ohms or connected an powered on with volts.

Typically this is the ECU thinking the throttle is fully open so fuelling is limited.

FS

#12 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:52 PM

Just for the hell of it, get a new piece of proper sized vacuum line and connect it directly from the ECU to the intake manifold and see if it makes a difference. On my car the factory rubber elbows had turned soft and dissolved internally and clogged everything up.

#13 madcapkillerb

madcapkillerb

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:46 AM

So a bit of an update on the issue. the car is a single plug ecu so no throttle switch. we ended up replacing all the vacuum lines and still no difference the car will now start sometimes and idle at very low rpm, but most of the time it will just crank and spit out the intake. We ordered a scanning tool that works with my phone but it will take a long time to come here. We are coming to the conclusion that the problem may be with the alignment of the flywheel. I read somewhere on a different post here that although it is made to only go on one way it can still be put on incorrectly if not paying attention. considering this is the first time both of us have done a clutch and we did it with the engine still in we are thinking it may be off by 180 degrees. as I'm in the midst of finals right now we might not be able to look at it for some time but I will post an update when we get a chance to look at everything. any suggestions are still welcome as we are not excited to take everything apart again lol. Thank you all again for all the help

p.s. maybe there is a way to check if it is on wrong without taking everything apart again ? just a thought

#14 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:11 AM

If you remove the starter motor and starting at TDC rotate the engine slowly and count the teeth and gaps on the flywheel you may be able to work out which way up it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users