7 replies to this topic

#1 peterh2

peterh2

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:54 AM

Made good progress with the Min over lockdown.

Whilst the glass is out I'm replacing the headlining. New one on order.

Any tips on removing the remains of the old glue?   I'm reluctant to try thinners, the cars painted with celulose.

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:02 AM

Upol panel wipe removes most sticky things without damage,Steve..

#3 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:20 PM

How much glue are you talking about? If it is just a thin coat/residue, try patting it down with sticky tape. The tape sticks better to the old glue and pulls it off.

#4 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:44 PM

Might worth trying something like Isopropyl alcohol, its a pain to get off with even the strongest solvents. I used cellulose thinner but as you say this might take your paint off, mine was factory finish.

#5 peterh2

peterh2

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for advice. Someone I know suggested petrol. That seems to work if you can bear the fumes. It's not helped by someone on a previous respray painted over the original glue.

#6 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:06 PM

Alcohol should get it off with a lot of rubbing using a coarse fabric. Don't use evostick contact adhesive to fix the new as that will melt cellulose paint which I found out the hard way.

#7 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:03 PM

An effective product for removing weather strip and trim glues is 3M adhesive remover. This is what this stuff was made for. It is a bit on the expensive side, so an alternative is Goo Gone (a citrus-smelling product) which works too but takes somewhat longer. Neither should affect celluose paint though of course test in a inconspicuous area.

If the glue is dried and hard, then the key to using either is to keep the dried glue in prolonged contact with the adhesive remover. The 3M might work with a soak and wipe, but the Goo Gone will not. For weatherstrip, I wet the glue with the remover, and dampen a cloth or quality paper towel with the same. Then I roll the cloth up and stuff it into the weatherstrip channel so it can sit overnight at least. After the soaking, it softens the glue and a plastic scraper removes it with no scratching.

Not sure how this can be done with a headliner - need to have a way to compress the cloth against the roof. I haven't had to do that that yet.

Dave

#8 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:33 AM

Panel wipe works but if you want to bet a bit more Jeremy Clarkson about it, try tar remover and if your not worried about paint finish being dulled down use a mild winter scotchbrite pad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users