Photo
- - - - -

What Is “Roadworthy Condition” For Mot Exempt Mini?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 eilz1999

eilz1999

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

Hi, I began to get my mini back in the road earlier this year but the COVID-19 had delayed my plans. My car will be MOT exempt in July but I did take it for an MOT in February and it failed for the following reasons:

* Nearside Front Lower Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting inner wheel adjacent subframe mounting (6.2.2 (d) (i))
* Offside Front Lower Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting inner wheel arch adjacent to subframe mounting (6.2.2 (d) (i))
* Nearside Front Lower Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting a pillar (holed) (6.2.2 (d) (i))
* Offside Front Lower Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting a pillar (holed) (6.2.2 (d) (i))
* Nearside Front Outer Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced lower side sill (6.1.1 © (i))
* Offside Front Outer Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced lower side sill (6.1.1 © (i))

A few photos of the problem areas attached.

Even with exemption, I understand that I will have to keep the car in a “roadworthy condition”. My plan is to get the welding done but II would like to take it on a mini run during the summer. Does anybody have a definition of “roadworthy condition” and would anyone advise me that I can drive the car before getting the welding done?Attached File  50009671-51C3-423F-A441-DA35BE6DE9CA.jpeg   67.54K   2 downloads

Attached Files

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:15 PM

my understanding of 'roadworthy condition' would be in a condition capable of passing an MOT test

#3 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:18 PM

Obviously not in road worthy condition if it hasn't past the MOT in February!

I Don't think the insurance company would like it if you were involved in and incident and would possibly not pay out.

Edited by alex-95, 27 June 2020 - 06:20 PM.

#4 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:20 PM

As above, the mot standard is a MINIMUM standard of roadworthyness, it's already failed an mot, so without repairs it's not roadworthy.

#5 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:32 PM

Obviously not in road worthy condition if it hasn't past the MOT in February!

I Don't think the insurance company would like it if you were involved in and incident and would possibly not pay out.

..not mention what a Traffic Officer would do to you and your car for driving a knowingly un-roadworthy vehicle on the public highway 

#6 Woolfie 640

Woolfie 640

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Moke club

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:44 PM

First thing I thought is how would the car hold up in an accident ? There is no strength in rust . Sadly I would put your run out on hold and spend the time repairing your car then the pleasure after that will be twice as nice

#7 eilz1999

eilz1999

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for your replies. I thought as much.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:44 PM

Thing is at that stage itll be opening a can of worms, what else do you find that needs doing?

In my opinion get it all welded properly, well exceeding mot standard.

In my opinion your looking at 2 front floor pans, 2 inner and outer sills once you start finding the rust... do it right now and you wont have issues for a long time.

Edited by cal844, 27 June 2020 - 09:46 PM.

#9 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:48 PM

I would get the welding done and then take it for another test. Then if the worst were to happen and you were involved in some sort of accident, you would at least have proof that the defects were delt with.

#10 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:04 AM

Just MOT it.

It’s always worth having a second set of eyes look over your car and if you think something wouldn’t pass an MOT then it’s probably not roadworthy.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:30 AM

my understanding of 'roadworthy condition' would be in a condition capable of passing an MOT test

not quite correct. IIRC the requirements to fulfil the road traffic act are a little stricter than the MOT. that is to say a car/etc could pass the MOT but be pulled over by VOSA (or who ever it is this week) and have it impounded due to it not fulfilling the RTA.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:46 AM

Can a car be MoT exempt if its last test was failed? Sounds like the sort of situation that'd be prohibited under the old regulation and not rescinded by the new.

#13 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:51 AM

my 1968 Cooper was put on the road this week after 22 years, I just taxed and insured it, but I am confident there is nothing wrong as been completely rebuilt, And I have enough experience to know it’s correct and I wouldn’t drive it with any faults. if I had any worries I would take it to my local mot station and just pay them to give it the once over rather than an mot, My understanding is the owner is taking the responsibility of declaring the car safe, but in your case it would be fraudulent to declare that safe and you would be open for prosecution, that’s my fear with this situation I cannot understand why no inspection is required, even a basic corrosion and essential mechanical inspection every two years would be better than current situation. 

#14 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:25 PM

My concern would be around being on the receiving end of an insurance claim. While technically our older cars are mot exempt - I have a 68 MG - there are some unscrupulous ambulance chasers out there. They'll latch onto the slightest issue or perceived weakness when pursuing a claim or recovering costs. Insurers too may need convincing in the event of a claim.

Has anyone with a historic vehicle and no MoT experience of being involved in a claim?

#15 eilz1999

eilz1999

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

Good replies all. I’ll find a garage to look at it. M-machines assembly inner/outer sills to first flute/groove for both sides is about £200. I appreciate there may be other work needed but as rough estimate, how much would you expect the garage to fit them? Any help would be great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users