9 replies to this topic

#1 jt1689

jt1689

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:22 PM

I'm looking at getting my mini resprayed, a new front end fitted and A pillar replaced, in white, black roof and group 2 arches. Roughly how much should I expect to pay, waiting on quotes at the minute. Oh and I am supplying all the panels

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:37 PM

Around £4k to £5k would be my guess.

#3 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:16 AM

Based on my current experience £40-50 per hour labour for panelwork & £2000-5000 for re-spray depending how much filling and sanding is required. My Elf project which has had all new panels took approx 200 hours of filling and sanding.

#4 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:09 AM

New front end, scuttle, inner door frames and hinges, two door re-skins, one new rear quarter. Respray/colour change.

Raptor to underside and engine bay. Subframes blasted and black raptored. £3800 labour and paint (possibly a little more labour by the time I get the final bill). I supplied panels myself which I think was around £1500.

That was based on me supplying the shell mainly stripped, but on rolling subframes with the glass in, and being supplied back to me in the same state (but hopefully nicer!!).

#5 jt1689

jt1689

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:06 PM

got me a price, £3500, very good bodyshop too, mates rate though, that's full front end and respray etc in between other work so it doesn't take them away from the other jobs. Personally I think that's a really good price

#6 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:05 AM

£3200 for me inside and out I did all the panel work 

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:39 PM

I reckon my Grandson (Cooperkid) has 'got it made'.

New front RH wing, one new door skin, one outer sill, two new door steps, a lower quarter-panel repair both sides, repairs to the boot floor, A-panel repair on LH side, lower RH door inner repair, mod to fit sliding windows, mod to make boot lid a Mk.1 lid, Mk.1 rear light conversion plates, full prep and repaint. All done by Grandad!

Total cost: Panels £250, paint £290, all labour and sundry materials 'free from Grandad'.

Final painting of basic bodyshell tomorrow. Doors, bonnet & boot-lid painting next week.

It's Ford Radiant Red with a Black roof and Black Group 2 wheel arch extensions. Wheels are Mini 1100 Special 10" Exactons and will be gold.

To be honest, if we didn't do all the work ourselves we would not be able to afford classic cars at all. When I worked for a living I did pay over £5000 for the full preparation of a Mk.1 shell for my rally Cooper 'S', but that was in 1993 and it sort-of 'went through the business' if you see what I mean.

#8 Norfolk Boy

Norfolk Boy

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:00 PM

Would you like to adopt another grandson Cooperman ?

#9 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:10 PM

I kinda agree with coope mans sentiment... if I couldnt do a lot of it myself I couldnt afford it...bodywork though is way beyond my skills other than a very functional but not very pretty level...

I would love someone to teach me how to do bodwork properly.. sadly to me its an art.. and I do not have an artistic bone in my body

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:50 PM

I think I was lucky. When I was young I did a 5-year Engineering Apprenticeship with the old de Havilland Aircraft Company. During my time at the basic apprentice training school I did time on the sheet-metal section and learned to gas-weld.

Then I got involved in serious rallying and we had to fix small body damage ourselves 'cause we couldn't afford to pay body-shops. I taught myself to MIG weld a long time ago by buying a cheap MIG set and practising on odd bits of metal. In fact my son is a better welder than I am, but he is a qualified automotive engineer, currently working as a design engineer in F1.

Doing body-work does seem a bit daunting to many, but don't be afraid to give it a try. We are here to help with advice and tips. Buy some sheet-metal working basic tools, a good angle grinder and a reasonably powerful MIG set (Clarke 135T or similar). Don't forget the eye protection and ear defenders!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users