20 replies to this topic

#1 jt1689

jt1689

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:24 PM

just got my 1380 mini, it judders on shut down, told its cam timing, is this an easy fix?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:24 PM

well it is simple but not quick. and you need a few tools. but first the cam timing needs checking so you know what you need to do. new build or old original set up?

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:29 PM

I'm not quite clear what you mean by 'judders on shut down'. Do you mean it 'runs on' a bit after you switch off? If so, that is nothing to do with the cam timing. It is caused by having a high compression engine. To stop this, switch off with the car in 1st gear and the clutch down, then if it runs on, lift the clutch and it will stop immediately. My Cooper 'S' has 11.1:1 CR and usually runs on a lot when hot.

If the cam timing was out the engine would not give good power, might be difficult to start and would not run nicely. 

By all means check the accuracy of the cam timing which is relatively easy to do if you know which cam you have, can remove the radiator, timing cover, rocker cover, have a DTI and a crankshaft protractor.

#4 jt1689

jt1689

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:24 AM

Thats exactly what's happening the last owner put it down to timing so he may well be wrong, following that process does work ive found, if its nothing to worry about for now il see how I get on

#5 jt1689

jt1689

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:25 AM

well it is simple but not quick. and you need a few tools. but first the cam timing needs checking so you know what you need to do. new build or old original set up?

Thanks, think its a recon/rebuilt engine done just under 4k with it in

#6 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:30 AM

Mine will run on if you just switch off the ignition.
For the last 30 years I've done as cooperman suggested and deliberately stall the engine as I switch the ignition off.
I did run a metro anti run on valve for a number of years but it wasn't a 100% cure.

#7 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:38 AM

theres a possible number of causes, carbon buildup, lean mixture, rich mixture. too hot a plug, but I think copperman is on the money wth the compression ratio.

this was an issue anyway on the metro, which is why they fittied the anti run on valves, which flood the manifold with air when the igntion is off.

Its a good idea to use the clutch to stop it running on, as if it runs on then kicks back so the engine rotates backwards this is not good for cam & follower longevity.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:51 AM

Then I would be talking to the builder as they have not done it correctly. Unless it was an internet buy.

#9 OzOAP

OzOAP

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:01 AM

just got my 1380 mini, it judders on shut down, told its cam timing, is this an easy fix?

Have they got cam timing and ignition timing mixed up?

#10 jt1689

jt1689

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:05 AM

Have they got cam timing and ignition timing mixed up?

Quite possibly, I'm still in touch with him so il ask

#11 jt1689

jt1689

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:07 AM

Then I would be talking to the builder as they have not done it correctly. Unless it was an internet buy.

I'm not sure who built it or where its from, last owner did the work so will need to ask him. From what's been said though, running on is normal for these engines? Unless I've misunderstood?

#12 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:45 AM

I'm not sure who built it or where its from, last owner did the work so will need to ask him. From what's been said though, running on is normal for these engines? Unless I've misunderstood?

No! If it runs on you have an issue ..

#13 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:45 PM

No! If it runs on you have an issue ..

I agree with Gazza82, it's either high compression, not being run enough or the timing needs slight adjustment

#14 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:23 PM

When it first happened to me (many, many moons ago) it was the plugs ... they were too hot and as a result keep firing the mixture that was in the cylinders until they cooled off. I just put the correct spec plugs in and all was good ...

#15 jt1689

jt1689

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:03 PM

I've spoken to the last owner, luckily he's still in touch with the guy who built him the engine so he's going to get him to take a look, it was tuned on rolling Road apparently so maybe it isn't down to the timing, at least its getting looked at to be sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users