5 replies to this topic

#1 jamie1604

jamie1604

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:34 PM

Evening all, I have recently fitted a stage one kit to my mini including an alloy inlet manifold and cone air filter. I am having clearence issues between the carb and bulkhead, it doesnt seem to fit!!! I have HS4 carb with standard 13.5 mm alloy spacer. Anyone point out what i need to do/what im doing wrong please!!!!

The kit was from mini sport, but the studs i was sent seem to long and the other studs i ordered have a different thread size to the inlet manifold.

Please help!!!!!!

#2 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:47 PM

Post up a picture and we can take a look. Sometimes aftermarket inlets are too long. But usually the hs4 carb works with most.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:43 PM

I have the Minispares cast type inlet manifold and I can fit the carb no problems with the small plastic spacer and the studs in the kit. I buy specifically from Minispares, I see a friend of mine who is restoring a car to order it and I give him the money once the parts arrive. It's a good way to save money and hassle too

#4 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:51 PM

Evening all, I have recently fitted a stage one kit to my mini including an alloy inlet manifold and cone air filter. I am having clearence issues between the carb and bulkhead, it doesnt seem to fit!!! I have HS4 carb with standard 13.5 mm alloy spacer. Anyone point out what i need to do/what im doing wrong please!!!!

The kit was from mini sport, but the studs i was sent seem to long and the other studs i ordered have a different thread size to the inlet manifold.

Please help!!!!!!

When you say the "other studs" you ordered are a different thread to the manifold you may have ordered the studs which go from head to manifold which are 5/16 UNF both ends (they maybe listed as manifold studs I guess) , whereas the actual manifold stud (i.e. the stud that fixes the carb to the manifold itself) are 5/16 UNF on the "outside" (i.e. where the nut goes) and 5/16 UNC into the manifold 

Sorry no help with the carb clearance fitting itself. Per Cals post I used a mini spares manifold with no issue

#5 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:18 PM

So these are called "inlet/ehaust manifold studs" by MiniSport: (note 5/16 UNF both ends) 

Attached File  Capture2.JPG   17.64K   2 downloads

Whereas the manifold stud is actually this one (UNF and UNC)

Attached File  Capture3.JPG   14.67K   1 downloads

But there is also this "long" one so maybe you got these in error

Attached File  Capture5.JPG   13.62K   4 downloads

#6 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:08 PM

So these are called "inlet/ehaust manifold studs" by MiniSport: (note 5/16 UNF both ends)
Capture2.JPG

Whereas the manifold stud is actually this one (UNF and UNC)
Capture3.JPG

But there is also this "long" one so maybe you got these in error
Capture5.JPG

You need the manifold to carb studs as it Looks like you might have ordered the manifolds to head studs. Have a browse on minispares website. You really can't go wrong with using minispares for everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users