MK1russ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:43 PM

1970 Mini 1000 Automatic

72k miles

Early MK3, October 1969 built, registered January 1970.

I found and purchased this Mini in Feb 2016, I was after a solid car that required no welding or painting and something that just needed improving upon. The previous owner had some restoration work carried out (completed in 2007), this consisted of replacing both front wings, front panel, welding to the inner front arches, p/s door skin, rear valance and then resprayed in its original colour, Antelope beige.

During my ownership, I have either restored, upgraded or renewed almost every part of the car and have spent a fair amount of money and far too many hours on it. This was going to be the Mini that i would keep forever more and was slowly being built into the period correct fast road Mini i had come up with in my head. I have unfortunately now lost all interest and desire something with more power & cylinders.

The work i have carried out is as follows:

Front subframe removed, repainted and fitted with all new suspension parts. Genuine Ripspeed Hi-lo's, Minispares standard rubber cones, KYB gas shock absorbers, Minispares fast road tie bar & bottom arm bushes, adjustable bottom arms, heavy duty tie bars, new top arm bearings, new longer track rod ends, new ball joints.

Rear subframe removed and replaced and fitted with reconditioned radius arms, Genuine Ripspeed Hi-lo's, Minispares standard rubber cones, KYB gas shock absorbers, polybush subframe mount bushes.

All paint underneath and in the engine bay was stripped, rust treated, zinc primed and painted in Antelope beige. I have since coated the entire underside (subframes and all suspension components too) in a combo of clear Waxoyl & Supertrol 001, along with filling the sills with Bilt Hamber Dynax S50.

All brake components renewed. I fitted a complete new Minispares 7.5" Cooper S disc conversion kit up front along with a new Cooper S brake master cylinder. At the back are a pair of spacered drums with new brake shoes, new wheel cylinders, new hoses and new handbrake cables.

The engine was removed and had the cylinder head removed, decoked, valve guide seals replaced and valves lapped in and then repainted in BMC green. Upon refitting i fitted a stage 1 kit i made up consisting of a new single box RC40 exhaust, cooper freeflow manifold, Oselli torquemaster inlet manifold and pancake filter with stubstack. Also replaced was all service parts, spark plugs/HT leads/points/condenser/coil/rotor arm/dizzy cap/oil & oil filter. Other parts renewed was the starter motor, radiator with a new standard 3 core one & new radiator fan

Upgrade parts fitted as follows:

Minispares 4.5" Cooper S wheels with 4 new tyres

MK2 Cooper grille

Bumper overiders

Vanden plas headlight trim rngs

Austin 1300GT steering wheel

Yazaki rev counter (full working)

Steering column drop bracket & seat adjuster brackets

Wipac reverse light (not wired up)

Genuine BL mudflaps

....and probably many other parts!

The Mini is running and driving well has been to a few local shows whilst i still was into driving it. The engine runs and pulls well, it'll happily do 55ish mph all day long and scream it's way up to a top speed of around 75mph. The auto box seems to work as it should, it selects all gears and changes up and down them ok, the kickdown function works well too. The brakes and handling of the car is much improved over standard, making it more fun to drive.

There are however a few 'not so good' points. The driver's door bottom has some rust scabs that need attending too (see album pics). The passenger door skin has been replaced in the past and has areas requiring attention (see album pics), i am including a genuine p/s door in good solid condition with the sale. There are some small areas of paintwork that could do with touching up, i was planning on having the paintwork sorted once the doors were done but it never happened.

The front windscreen has a small crack in the top corner. I have a new screen rubber and chrome insert included in the sale (even a windscreen tool if needed!) just an undamaged windscreen is required.

The last 'not so good' point is that the auto box does leak oil unfortunately. I have replaced both diff output shaft seals and the selector seal and this cured the leaks but after around 6 months they returned. This didn't bother me too much though as i was building up another engine and manual gearbox to replace the original unit.

Included in the sale is a mostly period correct 1275 engine and manual gearbox. I was slowly gathering parts for my own perfect fast road engine/gearbox setup to fit into the Mini to complete it.

The parts included are as follows:

1275 A series block, freshly bored +60 to 1330cc

A+ crankshaft, freshly reground 10/10

A+ con rods, lightened & balanced

AC Dodd RS camshaft, lightened steel duplex timing gear set, new followers, new oil pump

AC Dodd recurved electronic 45d dizzy

Unknown 'Stage 3' cylinder head, fully ported with stainless valves (35mm & 29mm), bronze valve guide, new minispares valve springs, 1275 pressed steel rockers with new heavy duty shaft

HS6 SU, fully rebuilt with new jet & seals, HIF44 dashpot and fast drop damper, vizard flowed butterly, new ramflow air filter & stubstack, ported Howley inlet manifold

Lightened pre verto flywheel & pressure plate

22G1128 remote gearbox, fully rebuilt with new RHP bearings, seals, synchro hub springs, competition layshaft & new bearings and good used parts (baulk rings, synchro hubs, 2nd & 3rd gears) Minispares X pin diff, 3.2 metro turbo final drive gears, Cooper S close ratio 1st motion & laygear, centre oil pickup pipe, pot joint conversion.

Parts needed for the Auto to Manual conversion, clutch master cylinder, clutch pedal, subframe spacer plates etc.

....and other parts i've probably forgotten about.

This Mini would make a perfect rolling project. You could enjoy driving it around while the good weather is here, then finish putting the engine together and get it fitted and running ready for the shows next year.

Viewing by appointment is welcome and the car can be inspected underneath on a 4 poster lift. I can also send any potential buyers lots of pictures of most of the work being carried out.

Location is near Ledbury, Herefordshire.

I am asking £9,995 for the Mini with all parts included. I will consider any near sensible offers.

Click the link for an album with 100+ pictures: https://photos.app.g...zBbpG9PKeFppfCA

IMG-20200502-162532899-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200502-162551432-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200502-162558310-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200502-162608074-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200502-162619958-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200502-162630937-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200502-162516766-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200502-162751621-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200502-162840698-HDR.jpg

#2 miniman86

miniman86

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Local Club: smag, Waltham Abby

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:48 PM

What a beautiful car, in a fantastic colour! Good luck with the sale! If I had the money I'd be very tempted, she's a beauty!

#3 MK1russ

MK1russ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:36 PM

Still available. I'm looking for £8500 ono for the Mini and will sell the engine/gearbox parts separately or do a deal on the lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users