3 replies to this topic

#1 Areabaylove

Areabaylove

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:57 AM

Hello folks! I was given a bunch of parts in order to complete a build so I have no clue what's in front of me. All the pictures I have pulled up on the internet show steering racks with a grease fitting on the end that u can access through the inside of the car. whereas the steering rack that I have does not have this? Is one superior over the other? Here is mine received_267001374750642_zps8w2deeye.jpe and here is what I keep finding online Screenshot_20200629-101958_Chrome_zpsj4j

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:11 AM

What you have is an aftermarket Rack, I * think * made by GKN (??). It is to the MKII (and later) geometry.

#3 Areabaylove

Areabaylove

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:34 PM

Is not having that grease fitting a bad thing or is the steering rack usually maintance free?

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:23 PM

The Plug you can see isn't a Grease Nipple, but is a Plug. It's there to help with centralising the Steering Rack when doing a wheel alignment. It's accessible when fitted up in the car, by lifting the carpets on the passenger's side, then in the Toe Board, there's a Rubber Grommet. Lifting that out gives access to this Plug.

You maybe able to add Oil (or Grease) via this Plug, but it would be exceptionally slow, the more usual way this is done is with an Oil Can and pump in in via a Gaiter, after releasing the clip.

I don't know much abut the rack type that you have, but they were a little popular. I'm not certain here, but I have a recollection that standard Gaiters don't fit these, however, there's many Universal types available that would fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users