AlasdairM

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:46 PM

https://youtu.be/2ZfJKZjlqyQ

Hi folks

Can anyone give any indication as to what this squeaking noise is? Car is 1990 cooper. This was going down the motorway at 60mph, 3000rev/min. It was raining, and it was one of the first long runs the car has had in 13 years (I put an MOT on it a month ago).

I realise it’s hard to tell from the video, but on full volume it’s quite noticeable. It sounds to me like it’s coming from in front of the passenger’s seat. It also sounds like water going through a pump, however I doubt i would be hearing the water pump that clearly inside the car.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:52 PM

Have you tried listening for the noise under the bonnet with the car stationary? The road noise in the video makes it a bit tricky to hear, but could well be the water pump or the fanbelt. 

#3 AlasdairM

AlasdairM

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

Yes there’s no noise when the car is stationary. Or at least it isn’t so pronounced...

#4 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:34 PM

I couldn't really hear in the video, but due to the location could it be water passing through the heater matrix?

#5 AlasdairM

AlasdairM

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:38 PM

Yeah as the car was sitting without any coolant in it (the radiator was out) the insides were a bit rusty. Maybe flakes of rust could be causing the noise when passing through the heater?

I’ll need to flush the system soon anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users