My first post to this group and I really hope you all can help.
I have a 1978 998cc factory standard mini that has suffered some issues since respraying and re-commissioning after almost 4 years off the road. The mini is now presenting a feeling of loss of power – almost like missing – as you accelerate. On idle it seems almost normal. The car was running beautifully before being locked away all that time ago, and it was started occasionally to keep it ticking over.
To give you some background I have done the following:
- All ignition parts replaced
- Basic service
- 2nd hand distributor fitted. (this solved a large proportion of the overall issue, but the current issue still persists)
- Carb jet replaced, clean and refitted. This did not resolve the issue so then a 2nd hand carb was brought, cleaned, and the same new waxstat jet and existing needle fitted from the original carb. New gaskets where required – still no real noticeable change. I have ordered a new needle but that is not fitted.
>One thing to note was that float chamber in the carb had lots of obvious rust residue – I have replaced the needle valve in the carb as it came in the same kit as the wax stat.
- New manifold inlet gasket fitted
- Fuel tank removed to remove any rust build up (there was quite a lot) and refitted
- All Fuel line from tank to the fuel pump replaced.
I think that’s it.
On a previous older vehicle, I had a similar issue where an air leak through a gasket at the point which joined the carb to the inlet manifold. However, I have replaced all the gaskets from anything post carburation through to the engine itself.
Has anybody had any issues when they replaced gaskets to do with the inlet side of things? Is it normal to have any problems with new gaskets? I am 99.9% sure that I have nipped up all the bolts to a suitable torque.
Is it advisable that I remove the inlet gaskets and add some anaerobic curing silicone sealer to help ensure that all gaskets have sealed up nicely?
Also if anybody may be able to suggest anything that could help me in my quest to solve this issue then please let me know.