8 replies to this topic

#1 duffdub

duffdub

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:58 AM

I’ve removed both pot joints and noticed on one of them the center silver cap and an O ring has fallen out. Can this be repaired? I took a pic of both for comparison.

Attached Files

#2 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:04 AM

I would have thought you could carefully tap it and the seal back into position with a bit of thread lock on the lip. It only has to stay put, it is under no stress. Obviously that is if you have the cap and seal undamaged.

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:18 AM

Yes you can replace it and use something to hold it and seal it (Tiger seal, Sikaflex, araldite.....)

Have you kept all the balls for the joint in the right order, so they go back in the same places?

#4 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:23 AM

Yes you can replace it and use something to hold it and seal it (Tiger seal, Sikaflex, araldite.....)

Have you kept all the balls for the joint in the right order, so they go back in the same places?

Hi Graeme - out of curiosity, what's the consequence of mixing them up, and what are the critical tolerances within the pot-joint ?

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:47 AM

In use the balls, cup and spider all wear together and effectively become matched to each other.  Mixing them up can therefore further accelerate wear as the parts all start to run on different areas.

If the wear become bad enough there will be play in the joint which may result in clunking noises and/or complete failure. 

If more than one joint has been stripped and the balls mixed up between the two then the issue could be much worse - they are not necessarily made with the same size bearings.

I don't know what the critical tolerances are, I think you'd struggle to measure them.

#6 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

OK - thanks.

#7 duffdub

duffdub

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:52 PM

I still have the center piece undamaged. I’m thinking I just need to replace the O ring seal? And yeah everything is still in the same order. Although I thought it didn’t matter. Watched a guy on YouTube take them out and put them back in in no particular order. He just checked that they didn’t have scoring.

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:27 PM

O ring seal?

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,927 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:33 PM

I still have the center piece undamaged. I’m thinking I just need to replace the O ring seal? And yeah everything is still in the same order. Although I thought it didn’t matter. Watched a guy on YouTube take them out and put them back in in no particular order. He just checked that they didn’t have scoring.

I've not seen them with an O Ring, not to say they didn't come that way.

I make sure the plug is on size and shape then refit them using Loctite for a sealant, typically 243 grade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users