#1 Waine

Waine

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:29 AM

Good morning everyone,
I am currently restoing a 1996 Mini Cooper 1.3 SPI. If it sits on the flat, it starts everytime, however if it is on a uphill slope it either cuts out or don't start,there is plenty of fuel in it. Does anyone have any ideas??
Thank you in advance

#2 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 03:06 PM

I'm more familiar with MPI but does the SPI have the pump on a module on top of the tank the same as MPI? Have you had the tank out during the work? Are all connectors securely fitted to pump and all engine sensors? Fuel inertia switch secure and connected?
Many years ago I had a Ford with a fuel supply problem which turned out to be an Opal fruit wrapper floating about in the tank occasionally blocking the outlet - a bugger to find! Can't really see that sort of problem if the SPI has the same 'sock' filter over the pump inlet like MPI?
Are all earth connections tightened and not just resting in place ready to move when it's on a slope?
Could you connect a timing light to be viewed from drivers seat to make sure you still have a spark when pointing up hill?

Ian

#3 Waine

Waine

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:03 PM

Thank you Ian, I haven't touched the tank at all yet. I think my next plan is to syphon the tank, take it out and have a look inside it!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users