7 replies to this topic

#1 J15DFB

J15DFB

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:21 PM

Hi. I have no indicators or hazards. I presumed this was the relay as it was noisy. Replaced it today which made no difference. Noise goes off with the relay unplugged. Any ideas?

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:24 PM

Hazard switch or fuse. If those check out OK then check the earth's are clean

#3 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:05 PM

You say the relay, do you mean the one behind the instrument cluster. If so there is another indicator relay under the bonnet. Looking under the bonnet you should see two relays on the inner wing near the brake servo, the one nearest the front is the indicator relay the second one iirc is the horn relay try swapping them over to see if that sorts the indicator/hazards out. If that doesn’t work try the suggestion fromcal844.

#4 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:18 PM

The indicators take their power through the hazard switch and there are 2 separate relays one for the hazards and one for the indicators. The reason the power is taken through the hazard switch is to isolate the indicators if the hazard switch is engaged. One behind the dash is the indicator one. Check the connections are clean and earths are good to start with.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:00 AM

Not on later cars,

It gets confusing when you refer to the flasher unit as a relay.

Flasher units on earlier cars have just 2 terminals*  - hazard & indicator circuit are mostly separate, save for the wiring out to the bulbs and the hazard switch which isolates the indicator circuit when you slect hazards 'n vice versa. The units are different, though a hazard flasher will work in place of the indicator one, but it's contacts are open at rest, so isn't as fail safe. 

*very early cars with the tell tale on the end of the stalk have 3.

For later cars there's an electronic flasher unit (with 3 terminals) that does the flashing for both hazards & indicators, plus a conventional 4 pin relay that only allows the indicators to work when the ignition is on.

#6 J15DFB

J15DFB

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. I have replaced the relay behind the speedo clusters as the noise was from there if i pressed the hazard switch or signalled left or right. Fault still present. I have then swapped the relays/yellow around under the bonnet as suggested next to the servo. Fault still present. The horn & everything else works. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated. ?

Edited by J15DFB, 04 July 2020 - 06:37 PM.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:02 PM

If you pull the hazard switch out you'll find 2 light green/pink wires on the connector block they are joined to each other and come from the flasher unit. The flasher unit also has an earth connection (black) and a permanent live supply (purple/orange) via an inline fuse.

If you've found the flasher unit, see if there's any voltage in the supply by earthing it via a meter or test light.

#8 J15DFB

J15DFB

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:47 PM

Fixed. Found a wiring issue just before the incline fuse. Repaired & I'm back on the road. Thanks guys!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users