4 replies to this topic

#1 GusRox

GusRox

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:36 AM

I’m so sorry to be that person bringing up that tired old subject...

Gus the Mini has a 3 lamp spotlight bar fitted (as seen to the left on my avatar), with three vintage Cibie lamps I’ve managed to snag over the years - but I’ve never quite got around to wiring everything up as (a) he still has the standard alternator and (b) standard battery fitted.  So really, he didn’t have enough oomph for all that

I mean, at the moment, if I’ve got the radio on and go into reverse the radio goes off for a split second.  Gus was just a City E so didn’t even have a radio fitted originally - so I figure his alternator would have been the lowest capacity required.   :D

So now I’ve got an upgrade alternator on the way and I’ve got a 075 battery, it’s time to get those beauties wired in.  It’s not just for looks - we live in quite a rural area with no lights through the roads that go through the woods round here, so a night they’re going to be essential.

My problem is that when I’m looking up wiring guides, they’re either for two spots, or four - not three.

Now, it’s very possible there’s an easily found link and I’ve just been super thick.  

So I’d like these to come on with the main beam as that’s going to be the most common use, so what’s the best way to do that?  Can all three be on one new relay?

Is there a good kit to buy with all the bits in, or am I better buying everything to get the bits best for my use?

Thanks for reading.  :)

Edited by GusRox, 05 July 2020 - 08:38 AM.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:57 AM

I'd buy a relay kit for the lights, so your lights will be brighter and fairly simple to wire in

#3 GusRox

GusRox

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:02 AM

Well, guides seem to say 2 spots, 1 relay, 4 spots, 2 relays.  But I can’t see what you’re supposed to do for three, you see... :)

#4 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:30 AM

I’d use the guide for 2 spotlights, use one relay https://www.autoelec...171/category/36 and simply wire three lights into it rather than two. The reason they use two relays for four lights is that they’re using reasonably low current relays. The one that I’ve linked to is plenty for what you’re doing, even if you use 100w bulbs.

#5 GusRox

GusRox

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:29 PM

Thanks very much guys, all wired in and working.  It’s like daylight with those on!  I’ll be cursing other drivers on the road when I can’t use them.  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users