13 replies to this topic

#1 Jamitz

Jamitz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

hey gus, im kinda new here and new to the mini. ive only had mine since december and because of this whole pandemic i was stuck away from it since january until now. unfortunatly as well i dont know all that much about cars and i bought a mini to teach myslef about them,  i feel like i know a fair bit about it now but i just cant figure this out.

Now the reason it wont start is because while i was driving it one time the engine steady bolt fell out and smacked the engine up against the bulkhead bending the jet assembly and putting a crack in the intake manifold. So i got a new carb to be safe and a new intake manifold. fitted it all and it started and ran, kind of. took it out for a test drive and it lasted about half a mile down the road until it just died and wouldnt turn back on. now ive checked the battery and its fine. ive checked the sparks and theyre all good and ive checked the fuel line and thats good too. for the life of me i cant figure it out and any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,

James.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:48 PM

More info please,

Does not turning on mean no radio & heater fan, no ignition light....?

Is it turning over? Are the plugs sparking when it does?

#3 Jamitz

Jamitz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:52 PM

its pretty stripped out at the moment so cant tell you about that but the fan does spin.

#4 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:22 PM

Did you put a new exhaust gasket on it and able to confirm it sealed at any vacuums lines?

Do the dash lights come on when key is turned?

Is the starter cranking over?

#5 Jamitz

Jamitz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:44 PM

starter sounds like it is yes.

the two lights do come on on the dash.

i didnt touch the exhaust and didnt replace the gasket for it, do you suggets replacing the gasket and trying again?

#6 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:00 AM

Engine earth strap OK?Steve..

#7 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:53 PM

Sounds like an ignition relay to me.. this is located on the inner wing as you stand looking at the engine from the front on the left hand side, near the bulkhead under the scuttle panel and is a square black box about 1cm x 1cm in size. Has 4 wires into it.

******Leave the exhaust alone if you have not touched it.*******

I Would also have a look at the distributor cap and points. Unscrew a spark plug and put the sparky end as close to the engine bolts as you can and connect the lead back on the plug. Then get someone to crank the car over, just a blip of the key. You are looking for spark on the plug. Need to look close but do not hold on to the plug or plug lead......shock is awesome but not the best idea...

If you sparking then it is good news...

If not open distributor and clean contacts on inside nd clean rotor arm metal parts.

One step at a time though... process of elimination.

#8 Jamitz

Jamitz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

I have actually tested the spark before and it does spark. However the cables do need replacing anyway but they won’t cause it to noT start. But I will have a look t the relay and get back to you, thanks for your replies,

#9 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:58 PM

the cables do need replacing anyway but they won’t cause it to not start.

Yes, they can.

It's much harder work for the plug to spark, under compression, than it is in the open air. That's the main reason for stuttering/cutting out under acceleration.

If it needs new leads, fit new leads and remove them as a possible source of the problem.

#10 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:11 PM

The exhaust gasket is also the inlet manifold gasket.You changed the inlet.Is it the same thickness as the exhaust,has it sealed? .An air leak here will make starting harder and running poor.Steve..

#11 Jamitz

Jamitz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:05 AM

the cables do need replacing anyway but they won’t cause it to not start.

Yes, they can.

It's much harder work for the plug to spark, under compression, than it is in the open air. That's the main reason for stuttering/cutting out under acceleration.

If it needs new leads, fit new leads and remove them as a possible source of the problem.

That’s a good point. Remove any possible thing it could be. Thanks for the advice. 

The exhaust gasket is also the inlet manifold gasket.You changed the inlet.Is it the same thickness as the exhaust,has it sealed? .An air leak here will make starting harder and running poor.Steve..

To be honest the gasket looks a bit worn so I might replace that today , some parts look a bit tatty. 

#12 R. Wayne

R. Wayne

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:37 AM

I have 100 questions, but I'll start here.   You say you got a new carb and intake......   were they brand new, or used?    If the carb is used, and not cleaned/rebuilt, I would be very suspicious of it.  And whether new or used, are you sure the carb is appropriate for your Mini?   I am betting that a few detailed pictures would provide tons of information to the experts on this forum (I am not one of those experts).

I would recommend getting some help troubleshooting from a local classic car enthusiast.....   it's helpful to have a second set of eyes and hands when running through troubleshooting procedures, especially if you have limited hands-on experience yourself.    $0.02.

#13 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:58 PM

Dirt in the used carb blocking the jet of petrol

#14 Jamitz

Jamitz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:44 AM

I have 100 questions, but I'll start here.   You say you got a new carb and intake......   were they brand new, or used?    If the carb is used, and not cleaned/rebuilt, I would be very suspicious of it.  And whether new or used, are you sure the carb is appropriate for your Mini?   I am betting that a few detailed pictures would provide tons of information to the experts on this forum (I am not one of those experts).

I would recommend getting some help troubleshooting from a local classic car enthusiast.....   it's helpful to have a second set of eyes and hands when running through troubleshooting procedures, especially if you have limited hands-on experience yourself.    $0.02.

the carb is identical to my original one. Both hs 4 carbs. Unfortunately I live quite far out the way from anyone into minis. But will keep searching. 

Dirt in the used carb blocking the jet of petrol

it was a new carb. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users