15 replies to this topic

#1 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:44 PM

Finally got my Mini Haynes manual from the UK. Took about 3weeks to make it to Vancouver Canada. Inside the vinyl covering of the book, there is a stamp indicating "Withdrawn From Bromley Libraries" and a paper label glued on first page askingto renew/return by date indicated.
Got me thinking someone has sent me thier old library book. But researching the Amazon seller, there is a statement on thier details page "Better World Books generates funding for literacy charities through the sales of second-hand books. Our current partner charities are READ International, the National Literacy Trust, Room to Read, Scottish Book Trust (Registered Charities no. 1128534, no. 1116260, no.1125803, SC027669 ), and the National Adult Literacy Agency. Much of our stock is ex-library due to our close relationships with UK libraries. We offer a service that helps them keep their unwanted books out of landfill. All ex-library books will be marked as such in their individual listings. 99% of orders are dispatched within 24 hours and we offer a 100% money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied. "

So perhaps this is a legit business?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:46 PM

More likely the library had been closed and its books sold off.

#3 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:12 PM

Libraries routinely 'retire' books to make way for new ones. I can confirm that Bromley Library is still open.

#4 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:22 PM

Perfectly legit business recycling unwanted books and raising money for charities as far as I can tell. Buy a lot of my books second hand and have used betterworldbooks a lot. Lots of companies doing similar.

#5 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for giving me peace of mind. 

I do like the heavy duty vinyl sleeve on the cover....should help it stand up well to the rigors it will no doubt see!

#6 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:59 AM

As above it is not uncommon to end up with an ex-library book from second hand sellers.

The real question is was it returned to the library on time, or is it due a penalty payment?

#7 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:09 AM

Talk about click bait headline, bit of an over reaction. How’s it a scam if you received the item? Scammers don’t send you items and give detailed descriptions of how they partner with charities. Ever heard of recycling? As above it was probably sold off. Also Haynes manual is available free online as a PDF if you look hard enough. However not as handy as having a paper copy.

Edited by beardylondon, 09 July 2020 - 10:10 AM.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:42 AM

Libraries routinely 'retire' books to make way for new ones. I can confirm that Bromley Library is still open.

I have managed to pick up some very rare hard covered Factory Workshop Manuals and Parts Books from library 'clean outs'.

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:14 AM

The local libraries here in Surrey UK nearly always have racks of ex-library books on sale at low prices in order to make way for new books or replace those that are starting to look a bit worn. Those that aren't sold to local people are passed to book charities or for recycling.

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:11 AM

They can end up with lots of manuals. People got libraries to order books for them as it's cheaper than owning them. If you just wanted a Haynes for a one off job, like a cam belt change and to photocopy the wiring diagram & torque settings...

Less of a thing now we have the interweb & no normal person owns spanners any more. 

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:16 AM

& no normal person owns spanners any more. 

Oh thanks goodness !

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:35 AM

:angel:

#13 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:56 PM

I feel a confession coming on,

I acquired a library book, nice hard back about Morris Minors from a mobile library sometime around 1984/5. We then moved house and the book came with us and was never returned. Im hoping the Library police are still unaware of my current location and so grateful having surgically changed my identity that Im unlikely to be picked out of an identity parade in the future.

The acumulated fine must be in the region of £17000 by now.  :shy:

#14 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:22 PM

I feel a confession coming on,

I acquired a library book, nice hard back about Morris Minors from a mobile library sometime around 1984/5. We then moved house and the book came with us and was never returned. Im hoping the Library police are still unaware of my current location and so grateful having surgically changed my identity that Im unlikely to be picked out of an identity parade in the future.

The acumulated fine must be in the region of £17000 by now.  :shy:

BETTER WATCH OUT, THAT CAN BE A SERIOUS MATTER:

#15 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:26 PM

Talk about click bait headline, bit of an over reaction. How’s it a scam if you received the item? Scammers don’t send you items and give detailed descriptions of how they partner with charities. Ever heard of recycling? As above it was probably sold off. Also Haynes manual is available free online as a PDF if you look hard enough. However not as handy as having a paper copy.

The Amazon posting did not disclose it was a library re-sell...just that is was a used/good condition item. I had to click into the seller's full detail to see the info I posted above....after I received the book and got curious. I've never seen library labels in books I've purchased before here in North America, must be more common in the UK.

Their are also bootleg/illegally made copies being offered of Haynes manuals. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users