6 replies to this topic

#1 tj80

tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:40 AM

Finally got the '90 Mini out at the weekend and noticed with the windows down that the suspension is really squeeky over bumps!  I haven't noticed this before, but this is probably the first time it's been out in decent dry warm weather.  We're new to Mini ownership but I've heard this is pretty normal, is there anything I can do to quieten it down?  Not sure if it's the rubber cones or some bushes somewhere (rear suspension has been greased)?  Maybe a good squirt of something might help and if so what - silcone spray, Plusgas, WD40, something else?

Cheers,
Tim

#2 goudoogje

goudoogje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:22 PM

First step i would take is to put some grease in all the grease nipples.

#3 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:56 PM

You could spray lubricating spray in one place at a time and when it stops you have the culprit.It should not squeak.Cheap place is shock absorber covers rubbing and if so should be obvious.More involved is knuckle joints badly worn.Good hunting,Steve..

#4 tj80

tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:22 PM

Thanks, both.  Good shout on the greasing - know I checked the rear radius arms but haven't done the front.  Good old Castrol LM or equivalent I assume?

Cheers,
Tim

#5 tj80

tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:00 PM

Hi all,

I got round to attacking the Mini with a grease gun at the weekend.  No problem on the front end, but at the rear radius arms I just can't see where the old grease is coming out - I put a LOT in, and can't see any coming out anywhere obvious!  Where would you expect to see old grease splurging out?  How much does it normally take - worst case would presumably be if there was none in it at all?

Thanks,
Tim

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:07 PM

If the radius arm spindle grease tubes are split, then you'll be slowly filling up the hollow casting of the arm.

#7 tj80

tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 02:12 PM

Ugh.  So there's a tube running from the grease nipple to the bearing on the other end of the arm I guess?  Getting the same thing on both sides, so if that's the case both are split!  Any way to check/replace without taking the whole thing to pieces?

Cheers,
Tim

Edited by tj80, 21 July 2020 - 02:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users