BrunswickMini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:11 PM

Hi, 

I'm new to the mini scene.

I messed around 20 years ago with metro's, my sister had a "red hot" mini with the usual centre exhaust and clear rear lights - she'd always try and keep up and make a load of noise :)

My background with cars has covered quite a few bases, I've raced saloon cars and 2 stroke karts over the years then had 10 years to Japanese sports bikes.

I'd love to race Miglia's, the money is scary but chatting with Peter Baldwin and Sarah Munns a number of years back they thought my driving style would lend itself well but we can all dream can't we.

My father has built quite a few known engines in the UK racing world, nowadays he's doing mostly historic stuff - goodwood, peter auto as well as just about anything that burns hydrocarbons.

I'm at the start of the A series journey, I read Vizard's book 20 years ago but I went in a different direction (french hot hatches) so i'm re-reading to get my head in the right place and doing a lot of listening to those that know.

I bought an 89 mk4 1330 at the end of last year, looked good in the pics...

Head gasket popped recently, found it had leaded seats so that's gone to the machine shop.

It's pre A+ so that's a bugger but not the end of the world.

Crank is trashed, taper attacked with a grinder by someone. It's in a very poor state so back to square one.

I've started on the chassis, adjustable bottom arms, tie bars etc.

Miglia arches, 13's (too big i know but they're in good condition and round so stay for now).

I have a few plans for it, it's already got a 286 cam (not sure whether to go 296). I've got twin HS4's so the immaculate HIF44 is going up for sale soon.

It'll get big valves, a proper head job, CR of something sensible and a strong bottom end to hold onto the revs.

We have both engine and chassis dyno's so may try a few different things to see how it goes.

Hope you're a nice bunch.

Cheers

Wayne 

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 July 2020 - 04:14 PM

Welcome aboard,

I'm sure we'll all be very nice to anyone with their own dyno  :P

I wouldn't want to go any wilder than a 286 unless it's an out & out track toy. The other thing to consider is your final drive ratio, little point in having lots of horses if your engine doesn't get beyond a canter at typical road speed.

#3 BrunswickMini

BrunswickMini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:54 PM

Hi,
I'll get looking at the gearbox soon and find out what I've got and go from there.
I trust very little after seeing what I've seen so far.

#4 BrunswickMini

BrunswickMini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:21 AM

QyYHAY0.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users