4 replies to this topic

#1 Classicmini63

Classicmini63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:10 AM

So I got a new fuel pump for my MPI mini, and you know when you first turn the ignition on, the pump makes the priming sound? Sometimes when I fire it up the pump still makes that same loud priming sound. But then if I turn it off and on 3 or 4 times it stops. Any ideas what this could be? Car drives no different when it’s constantly priming but it’s the sound that’s annoying me more than anything.

Cheers

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:14 AM

It's supposed to...

Perhaps not make as much noise but injection pumps run constantly, hence the return pipe.

#3 Classicmini63

Classicmini63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:19 AM

Sorry I don’t think I’ve been very clear. So it’s the sound of the pump priming when the ignition goes on, which used to go away once it had done it for a few seconds. But now with this new pump, even after firing the mini up it keeps making the priming sound. And as for the it’s ‘supposed to’ then why did it never keep making that sound for the past 21 years before this new pump? And also if it’s supposed to then why does it stop making said sound when I turn it off and on a few times? And by that I mean I’m able to drive it without it making the sound if I turn it off and on enough times. Sorry for the confusion.

#4 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:41 AM

The "priming" noise you hear before starting the engine is simply the pump running normal, a sound you don't normally hear above the noise of a running engine. It sounds like something is causing your pump to make a louder than normal running noise and the fact that it is intermittent would suggest that something may be loose or maybe something has got inside the fuel line or filter. Is the new pump a Rover pump same as original.

#5 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:53 AM

noisy pump

was it a cheap replacment?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users