14 replies to this topic

#1 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:01 PM

I posted this in the "Motormouth" section but got no replies, I suspect because less members bother going there so posting here in the hope of getting more responses:-

I have a small car trailer, approx 5x3' on mini wheels which is handy for trips to the tip etc.
I'd like a bigger one but want it to be general purpose capable of carrying my Mini or a ride on lawnmower. Id also like it to be able to carry 2 x euro pallets (of wood for a log burner) and possibly have detachable sides with mesh uppers for grass / garden waste.
I know I could probably go and buy something but would imagine I'd be talking £2500+.
I'd quite like to build something suitable myself, aware of IVA rules but realistically no one can prove what age a trailer is or when it was built so not too worried about that.
Anyone built anything of similar style or have any tips?

What sort of trailers are you transporting your Minis on?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:29 PM

aYZpplE.jpg

#3 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:33 PM

Proper job that Nick.

#4 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:13 PM

I don't have any tips, but my brother has been a mechanic all this adult life and has his own business...amongst other things he also builds trailers as a side line for the autograss community (he also races).

He would be able to spec a trailer for your requirements if you decided not to have a go yourself.

PM me if you want me to put you in contact with him. Otherwise good luck with the build.

#5 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:57 AM

I posted this in the "Motormouth" section but got no replies, I suspect because less members bother going there so posting here in the hope of getting more responses:-

I have a small car trailer, approx 5x3' on mini wheels which is handy for trips to the tip etc.
I'd like a bigger one but want it to be general purpose capable of carrying my Mini or a ride on lawnmower. Id also like it to be able to carry 2 x euro pallets (of wood for a log burner) and possibly have detachable sides with mesh uppers for grass / garden waste.
I know I could probably go and buy something but would imagine I'd be talking £2500+.
I'd quite like to build something suitable myself, aware of IVA rules but realistically no one can prove what age a trailer is or when it was built so not too worried about that.
Anyone built anything of similar style or have any tips?

What sort of trailers are you transporting your Minis on?

Go have a look on ebay. Should be able to source one for less than a £1000. I just sold my single axle mini trailer for £900 on FB. If you intend on taking it to europe you might need a certificate of conformity.

#6 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:37 PM

I'll probably build one myself, really just looking for ideas at the minute.

A twin axle would probably be best for stability but less practical as far as manoeuverability goes.

#7 CK's mini

CK's mini

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:37 PM

If you are building it yourself i'd probably look more towards a single axle, to be legal all wheels will need to be braked, this will be the main expense, especially if you go new. In the past I have brought a cheap trailer off ebay and used all the components but built my own chassis.

APlHDq9.jpg

I also did manage to buy a twin axle trailer off ebay for £400 was a great work horse and way cheaper that building one.

5uXooMO.jpg

It's very easy to get carried away and before you know it you've spent a fortune.

#8 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:32 AM

in my eyes the cheapest option would be to use a old caravan chassis, they pop up on ebay regularly. that would be fully braked with all the tow hitch etc. 

as found below 

https://www.ebay.co....mCondition=3000

Edited by jaysmini1983, 23 July 2020 - 07:34 AM.

#9 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:41 PM

Yes it is an option although they would need additional strengthening added, they are not the most robust only designed for having a wood and aluminium structre bolted to them.

Something along these lines is appealing, wonder would a Mini just squeeze onto this?

https://www.ebay.co....AI/323716222421

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:01 PM

Yes it is an option although they would need additional strengthening added, they are not the most robust only designed for having a wood and aluminium structre bolted to them.

Something along these lines is appealing, wonder would a Mini just squeeze onto this?

It does give the internal dimensions.

so maybe just.

Edited by nicklouse, 23 July 2020 - 04:03 PM.

#11 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:28 AM

i agree, but you wanted to build something. the main parts are there, Axle,Brakes,Tow hitch, wheels. I replaced my Boat trailer Axle last year, thats rated to 1800kg and the axle was £500 on it own,https://www.banburyt...aked-1800kg=192

then another £200 for new wheels and tyres. 

you wanted to build it cheap so you could add the strengthing required and you have built a cheap trailer. 

#12 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:14 PM

Classic Mini DIY just posted a video on trailering today:

https://youtu.be/MtNDLsGEyRY

#13 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:00 PM

What's the deal with getting home made trailers road legal? Is it as simple as submitting to an IVA/SVA test?

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:09 PM

What's the deal with getting home made trailers road legal? Is it as simple as submitting to an IVA/SVA test?

yes since 2012 IIRC.

#15 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:04 PM

Classic Mini DIY just posted a video on trailering today:

https://youtu.be/MtNDLsGEyRY

Magnificent!

0 user(s) are reading this topic