9 replies to this topic

#1 Steve leckey

Steve leckey

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

Just finished a resto of my 74 mini and am just doing final things like ride height.While adjusting hi lows I noticed one side the wheel is closer to the front wheel arch lip.So decided to measure between wheel centres it's 10 mm out from one side of car to other.Is there a way of checking that subframe is sat back in to bulk head and still square without it having to come out ?
Thanks Steve

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

What else is adjustable?

also uneven ride height will give different lengths as well.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:10 PM

Measuring & comparing lengths of diagonals is a good way to check squareness in general.

Simplest cause would be related to the tie rods. 

Expect you know other things worth considering yourself if it's had new wings etc.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:17 PM

I think some more info would be beneficial, things like what was done on the resto panel wise, what suspension components if any were replaced.

is the subframe original, was there any accident damage before the resto.

#5 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:56 PM

Having the same problem with my clubman estate today. It seems the passenger side sits 1" closer. Its had a new front end before I bought it. Adjustable bottom arms, tie rods, hi Los and lowered dampers. Right height needs seet yet and its gone from drums to disks which pushes the wheels out more. Gave up with it today.

#6 Steve leckey

Steve leckey

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:01 PM

Has adjustable tierods and adjustable bottom arms it's lowered on high lows and has a fibreglass front end

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:29 PM

Plenty to go at there then. I'd start with the fit of the subframe to the body & work out from there.

Find somewhere really flat & level to  park and drop some plumb lines from key points so you can plot them on the surface.

You could use the grease nipples in the radius arms to get a baseline. Then triangulate off that to plot the positions of matching points on the left & right sides. Levelling the front on axle stands would help too, there are phone apps or you could rig up  a U tube from see through pvc tubing.

There are several Mini dimensional diagrams online, but you can just compare left to right.

#8 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:03 AM

Has it got new rubber cones? They would be my No.1 suspect then.

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:31 AM

Just finished a resto of my 74 mini and am just doing final things like ride height.While adjusting hi lows I noticed one side the wheel is closer to the front wheel arch lip.So decided to measure between wheel centres it's 10 mm out from one side of car to other.Is there a way of checking that subframe is sat back in to bulk head and still square without it having to come out ?
Thanks Steve

I presume the 10mm difference is between the measurements from rear wheel centre to front wheel centre?
Check the tie rods are adjusted to roughly the same length - from memory the standard length is 14.25" from the flat face the bush sits against to the bolt centre at the bottom arm.

I wouldn't take any measurements involving the f/glass front as useful - they aren't that well made and can often be out of square once fitted up.

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:48 AM

I doubt it'd take much suspension movement to create a cm of difference. It'd be a good approach, but the car will need to be properly level.

I could see this easily being down to just bodywork: 10mm is 5mm a side & only 2.5mm either side of the A panel seams. That's before taking in to account how the seam's incline will create horizontal misalignment from vertical misalignment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users